1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR Goliath Junior II with Aguilar ToneHammer350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by UymaraY, Nov 9, 2019.

1. UymaraY

UymaraY

Sep 17, 2019
    Good evening, I want to know if this is a good combination of head and amp, if its a good sound for the mix. I am new creating these head and amp combinations that’s why i would need some reviews here :)

2. dabis

dabis

Mar 27, 2016
    Barcelona
    Hi @UymaraY ! YES, very good combination. I recently acquired a GIII jr, and paired with the TH350. I picked this cab because I usually play the TH350 with a GIII 4x10, but it's too much for many gigs I do. The SWR gurus tend to say that II series are better than III series, so probably you'll have an excellent cab there.

Let us know if its 4 or 8 ohms. If it's 4, be careful with the gain and the bass, you can blow the speakers with this head. I also use an HPF setted around 50-60 Hz to dial out the freqs. below that point. Yesterday was the first time with this cab on a concert, and I raised a milimeter the mids setted at the lowest point (180Hz) and it was glorious.
    Gain at 9 o'clock
    Drive at noon
    Bass and treble at 1 o'clock
    Master at 11 o'clock

IMG_20191009_221140_2225.JPG La Grange 5.

You can follow also the pics of the inside cabs that I uploaded some days ago, here:
    SWR Collectors Thread

3. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Even better would be a pair of those cabs (8 ohms each) vertically stacked. I use that setup (with a different 500-watt SS amp) with one of my bands and I love it.

Jim Carr and UymaraY like this.
  4. dabis

dabis

Mar 27, 2016
    Barcelona
    Awesome! Pics!

UymaraY and Lobster11 like this.
  5. UymaraY

UymaraY

Sep 17, 2019
    Yes, it is 4ohms, would it be better to match TH350 with a 8ohm? Also thanks so much

6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Sorry, don't have a pic, and the rig is set up at a friend's house where the band plays. But trust me, it just looks like two Goliath Jr. IIs stacked on end with a G-K MB500 sitting on top. BTW, at another friend's house (where my other band plays) I've got a pair of vertically stacked Avatar 210s with a Little Mark II sitting on top. Once I discovered the wonders of a vertically stacked pair of 210s at one place I did the same at the other.

Nothing against the Tonehammer, of course. Indeed, that's probably what I would get now if I needed another head and had the dough for one. The heads I have are just ones that I happened to get good deals on at the time.

UymaraY and dabis like this.
  7. dabis

dabis

Mar 27, 2016
    Barcelona
    Don't know if better but safer. This head it's 175W @ 8 ohms /350W @ 4ohms, but if you check at the specs of the Icepower modul in it, says 450W @ 4 ohms.
    The ASX Series - forever young
    Don't know if the head has some limitation of that specs. and that's the reason that is marketed as 350W or is simply the well-known conservative Aguilar specs.

Attached Files:

UymaraY likes this.
  8. UymaraY

UymaraY

Sep 17, 2019
    Ok, i will be careful with that :) so that means that the Gallien Krueger CX 210 with 400w should work perfectly with this amp? This was the first cab I was going to buy so i’m thinking of buying it later :) thanks so much for the images and the files

dabis likes this.
  9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I use a Goliath II Junior with the original 10” PAS drivers as my main cab. You should be very happy with the sound you get out of yours.

BasturdBlaster, dabis and UymaraY like this.
  10. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    The Aguilar amp is ok, but for cabs see also Aguilar or Hartke.

UymaraY likes this.
  11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

FWIW, the original Goliath cabs were designed by Eden for SWR.

UymaraY likes this.
  12. dabis

dabis

Mar 27, 2016
    Barcelona
    I usually read again this thread to enlight how MI business were made back in the 80's-90's
    History lesson - Thunderfunk/SWR/Eden, etc.

40Hz likes this.
  13. dabis

dabis

Mar 27, 2016
    Barcelona
    Sorry, have just realized that the II's have lesser handling than the III's. According to this info, the Goliath II jr can handle 250W @ 4 ohms. You have more than a ticket to blow the speakers if a 4 ohms is paired with the TH350. Never tried these GK that you're saying. On paper these have to be good cabs, but don't know how they comapre with the SWR's.