1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR Goliath Senior - Model Year?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stevothebassist, Aug 19, 2012.

1. stevothebassist

stevothebassist

Sep 2, 2006
    [​IMG]

Saw this on craigslist, thinking about making an offer for the cab. Anyone know what year this particular model is? Any pros or cons worth mentioning for the year?

Thanks guys!

2. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Looks like mid 90's. Those were killer rigs. The only caveat beside the weight of the cab is the potential to damage the two power amps in the head if you used the bridged output but did not put the "dual or bridged" switch on "bridged". This could effect the bias in the poweramps and cause them to fail.

3. stevothebassist

stevothebassist

Sep 2, 2006
    Interesting, I thought it was a 90s model. I recently bought a 750X, so I won't be looking to take the heads. That said, none of those issues could have damaged the cab, right? Really hope this thing is still available

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Goliath Senior
    Right before they went to the chrome grills.
    I'd snatch that.
    Designed to be a loud cabinet.
    Next to a GIII it doesn't have the actually lows at low volume.
    Trade off good volume. Wide clear frequency response.
    If you haven't used SWRs before dial tweeter down to barely on then you get that balance across the spectrum.
    Snatch it. Get it. Buy it. Rock it.
    They fit in everything and because of their height they roll right up and tip over into your backseat or hatch or what have you.
    Use large speaker cable. Pro Co Max is cheap and 8 guage.

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Perfect match for that head!!!

6. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    get it. have one and love it. Best cab I have ever owned. It loved being used at high volumes with my band. I still remember the day I brought mine home. I had a gig that night I brought it to the venue. started sound check. Hit an open E watched as the alcohol bottles at the bar started to rattle!

7. Texan

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    The bridging issue would not damage the cab. It's a great cab and will kill with the 750x...besides, its pre-fender !

8. Glad to hear all the good reviews of this cab as I have the same vintage coming later this week. I'll be powering it w/my M/B Bass 400.

9. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    Agree. They are killers. And yes +1 on the size, it's just right. Makes me miss mine. I only sold it because it was not getting used.

10. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I love the grill.
    Though I owned two chrome GIIIs the bright grills were not always appropriate for every gig.
    I do art gallery openings & society gigs along side the roadhouse ones.
    The darker grill is always appropriate.
    Anything to calm the mother of the bride and the wedding planner! Once you're playing and the whole place is hopping it's all good.

11. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    Goliath Sr II 90-96. Age of a cab...check the corners, bottom panel distortions for potential cabinet drops, possibility of reconing, or likelihood of speakers being replaced. Those cabs were pretty over built so not much to worry about the box really.

12. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    Huh?:eyebrow:

There is a separate speaker out just for Mono output, each power amp operates independently. Flipping the switch bridges them, no Bias, and No output tubes. Problem only occur when more than one cabinet is used and has two different ohm loads.

If you had two cabs plugged into each side one at 4 and one at 8 ohm then turned on the bridge mono, then it would not be good for the amp.

13. Texan

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Ya, it's an oddity, but you can bias these amps;). The bias on the MOSFET's in these amps can drift and the output can suffer as a result. This happened to a display model when I sold these years ago, the guy who set up the amp did not flip the switch to "Bridge" and over time the amp lost it punch and would get really hot. We sent it back to SWR and Paul Herman said that one of the power amps had become over biased...I was shocked by this, being that it's solid state. And I could be remembering this wrong... Here is a thread that has the procedure...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/just-found-swr-sm-400-questions-680063/

14. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Make sure it has the original drivers. The PAS speaker were why this cab could put out 110 dB 1 watt 1 meter. Yes 110. Grab it. Make sure you don't tell me where it is.

And it could take over 1000 watts. guitarist hass a 100 watt Marshall? No problem. Two? no problem.

15. subbasshz

subbasshz

Aug 11, 2012
    phoenix az
    Im addicted to punishing volume.
    110 @ 1 watt @ 1 meter

HHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG winning.