Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Goliath Snr 6x10 vs. older (EV loaded) Mesa Boogie 2x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cetera, Aug 12, 2004.

1. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Hi,

I'm considering changing my speaker set up (from 2 Hartke 4x10's) and have been offered the above cabs, each at VERY reasonable prices. Both are used but in excellent condition. :)

I play mainly rock & heavy rock and like a cutting, grinding, growling tone...... though I also play functions and require more trad tones and even some funkiness for the disco tracks etc... :bassist:

I have an Ampeg SVTII Pro head (450 watts) and a Tech21 Landmark 300 head (300 watts) to choose my pre/power stage from.

Anyone have any thoughts on which cab is better / more versatile / more suited to my needs?

Thanks as always for any opinions offered...! :)

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    The Diesel 2x15 is possibly the greatest cab I've ever owned; maybe ever played on. It will eat any 6x10 out there. Run both speakers in stereo @ 4 ohms, and the volume and clarity will blow you away. Just remember, SWR=Fenfer. Mesa's the only big-name company never to sell out. That should say a lot not only about their business aspects, but their gear. They've never gotten into deals where they had to sell off parts or all of their assets just to play catch up.

Now that I have a Diesel 6x10, I can't wait to get a Diesel 2x15 someday again, whenever I may need it.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'd say this is the way to go, but remember, a 6x10 and a 1x15 are going to sound WAY different from each other. Listen to both and see which fits your sound best.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I actually went out to buy an SWR Goliath, Sr. after playing one and being very impressed with it. But, that was before I heard the Mesa Boogie cabs. This was in the days of the Diesel/RR cabs. I ended up being absolutely blown away by the 2x15, and I agree that it is one of the best cabs I have heard (and I've heard - and own! - many). The Diesel 4x10 sounded almost as good, though, and was much more schleppable for me, so that's what I ended up getting. But at least to my ears, both Boogie cabs made the SWR 6x10 sound muddy and indistinct, and had more clean low end and far better tonal balance.

So, if you can manage to move it around without a problem, I'd go for the Boogie 2x15, myself.

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Ditto.

Your talkin about 2 entirely different dimensions of bass. You should probably forget about the brand names for now, and figure out if your looking for a cab thats more like a 2x15 or more like a 6x10/8x10 just in general.

Overall I'd give the adv. to the SWR right now. Never really heard any bad remarks about the Goliath Family. Plus.... a 2x15 can be a great cab if it fits your style..... but I can never imagine it being as versitile as a 6x10.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That's what I thought, too, before I heard the Mesa Boogie Diesel 2x15. It is a very flexible cab that could fit a number of different styles. It had clarity, booty, and great tonal balance. Really surprised me.

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Did (do) the RR/Diesel 215 cabs have EVM15-L or EVM15-B drivers? Just curious. There seems to be quite a difference in the specs.

9. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    the Mesa 2x15 is the best 2x15 on the market.

It will eat any swr cabs !

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've owned SWR (including a Goliath Senior) and Mesa cabs and liked 'em both a lot. Win-win, I say.

11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Most used the EVM15-L. I think a few Bs were used, after EV changed the original design. One of the reasons that we discontinued the old cabs and started making the Powerhouse cabs was because EVs speakers were changing, and we weren't 100% pleased with the way things were going.

I will try not to sound biased here, but I think the older 2x15 is the way to go for the sound you've described. I'm a big fan of the older style Boogie cabs (especially the RoadReady series); they are the best things I've ever tried. However, they are very heavy, and sound completely different from the SWR. SWR seem to be much more hi-fi, snappy, and transient, while the older Boogs are rounder, slower, and "rock". SWR makes great amps (I loved the SM900 back in the day), but I don't think of them as "rock" amps.

Ultimately, I'd say to haul your amp and bass into your local store and try them both out, and buy which sounds best to your ears.

12. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Question for anyone who can answer:

Whats the weight on the Powerhouse1000??

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    With that many drivers, even with the new cabinetry design, it's gotta come in close to 100 lbs.

My Diesel 6x10 that I'm trying to get shipped is packing in at 140 lbs... crazy!

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think it's around 120-130.

15. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    hmm... not bad considering I'm currently hauling a pair of BXT's around at about 115lbs apiece. Had a bad experience with it the other day, :crying: and I'd love to just land one cab to rule them all. :)

16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Hence why I'm getting a Mesa 6x10. :D That Powerhouse Powerhouse cab I'm sure is just unreal, though.

17. HRC Matt

HRC Matt

Aug 31, 2004
    Columbus, Ga
    I have the option of a trade and just thought i would run it by you tbers out there who have experience with BOTH MESA and SWR.

I have the older cabinets with the EV's about 3-4 years old to be exact. I have the 4x10 cab with the matching 1x15. Though i love the tone and warmth, im not getting all the low end i want with the cabs and my Gk 700RBII. I have the option of trading this setup outright for the same year model SWR Goliath SR 6x10. I'm torn between the two thinking im going to loose so much tone. These MEsa cabs for you that haven't owned them, require so little power to push so BIG of a sound. What do you low-end fiends think?

18. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I am sure 12,985 people will tell me why I'm wrong, but...

MESA!!!!!!!

I used to have a diesel 2X15, sold it in a fit of insanity thinking I wanted a more "hi fi" tone with more low-lows and less mids.

I was stupid.

The SWR cabs I've owned and tried seem soulless and sterile in comparison, as well as not being able to handle much power. I remember trying out the 215 in the store before I bought it, plugging in some generic junky amp...Hartke or Ampeg solid state... and how everything shook, people stopped talking, and one kid walked over in awe. And it certainly wasn't awe of my skill. Surprisingly full range, GOBS of deep, powerful low mids.

I owned a lot of cabs at the time, I added the 215 to my setup. Over time, I stopped using the other cabs one by one, as they were just obscuring the awesome tone of that 215 and not really adding any usable volume.

I foolishly sold it, and found my hi fi sound....then realized that while it sounded good solo, the guitar ate it, and I needed those mids back to be heard. I hope my old cab found a good home.

19. HRC Matt

HRC Matt

Aug 31, 2004
    Columbus, Ga
    thats what i am afriad of. i need the razor mids to cut through, but even though i have a good amp capable of pushing solid mid's...i dunno how well the SWR will handle the mids next to Mesa. I know SWR will take the low end, but some songs i play, i don't even use my E. I might just buckle in cause i want conveience of one solid cab. im sure i'm not the first to fall for that.