Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Goliath Sr.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by miktit, Apr 28, 2001.

1. miktit

miktit Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Denmark
    What is Your oppinion on this cab?
    What would You prefer instead?

Mik Tit

2. I tried a used one out at Guitar Center yesterday and it sounded awesome. I played through a bass 750 head. I really wanted to get it, but I'd prefer getting a Goliath jr and a Goliath 4x10's for portability reasons.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I've been using one for a couple of years now, and it's far and away the best cabinet I've had. It'll get VERY loud...I'll put my rig (Alembic F1-X, Mackie 1400, Goliath Sr.) up against anybody's SVT, any day...and I'm a long-time SVT fan. I can't imagine anyone needing much more unless you're doing some incredibly loud gigs. It's a little bigger than a Goliath III or other 4x10, but guess what? It's more portable. An SWR or Eden 4x10 is a heavy MF! The Goliath SR 6x10 doesn't weigh much more and it has casters and handles all over. You can tilt it back and roll it like an SVT cab. It's only a few inches taller than a 4x10 too. That crap about a 4x10 and a 2x10 being more portable is a myth...that's 2 trips, and takes up more space.

4. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Sorry Robot-Trashcan...I didn't mean that your opinion was "crap"...just a figure of my speech...I was up really late and the coffee hasn't kicked the brain processes in yet.

5. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I love the goliath senior. cab, 4ohms to get max output and its not very big in size, I use 2 goliath 3 cabs with a SWR 750 and I wish I got the srenior. I got to use one and I could not tell any change in performance, and like mchildree said its one trip with the same sound. I would say go for it, now dont get me wrong I love the goliath 3 cabs but the senior in a better deal over all.

6. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I sold my two Goliath II 4x10s to get my Goliath Sr., and have been so glad I did at every gig.

7. That's cool, we all got opinions. I might bring up a couple of things about the Goliath Jr and Goliath 4x10's that I forgot to mention. That rig is more flexible because maybe you don't always need 6x10's on stage. However the Goliath Sr is cheaper. I was kind of amazed how light the Sr was for its size (yeah, it was kind of an awkward scene at GC when I was lifting the Sr up and down) and w/wheels it should be a lot easier to move than I thought.

8. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Actually,both views make alot of sense.The only real problem ive had living with a large cab is stairs.These are a pain plain and simple.Heres a tip that makes it ALOT easier goin up.I lay the cab onto its side and just "cart wheel" it up end over end.It sounds a little weird but believe me it works like a charm.I can handle it by myself and actually feel/am safer than with two guys!Of course id recomend getting a good cover to protect it.Goin down i just lay it on its side and slow/carefully let it slide along holding onto the side handle and of course the stair rail.Again a good cover is well worth the investment.My cab is pretty big being an old Earth 2x15 (110lbs) so it should work just fine for a SWR SR or whatever.Oh,by the way.Dont they have an 8x10 now?Heh heh heh.Good luck!

9. miktit

miktit Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Denmark
    Hi everybody.

I just bought a Goliath Sr. used, and tried it on a gig.
    It really isn't much more bulky than a 4x10, but has a lot more punch.
    It's a great cab for my Mesa Boogie 400+

Thanks for your oppinions.
    :) Mik Tit

10. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Excellent choice!!!I had their 4x10 and it sounded great with my old all tube Earth head.The SR with your Mesa most smoke.ENJOY!!!!