Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Goliath sr.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by canadian*eh, Jan 27, 2006.

1. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    My question to you is how does the Goliath sr (610) handle a low B string.......cause it only has a Frequency Response of -3dB @ 55Hz and 14KHz which does not seam like a whole lot...and how does it compare to a goliath III which has a Frequency Response of 105 dB SPL @ 1W1M (-3dB @ 40Hz and 15KHz) .......Anybody have you that could tell me how well they do?Hope you can Help.Thankx:help:

2. Peg_legs

Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    I didn't like this cab with a low B. I ended up getting the Bergantino NV series that sounds great on the low B and costs about the same

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Freq resp figures can be misleading sometimes. The numbers you posted mean that the FR is more or less flat down to 55Hz. It doesn't mean that the cab has no output below that (it does).

It could be that anything below 55 is -4 or -5 dB (a noticeable dip on a graph, but you most likely will not hear it).

4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    You cant go by the numbers, that is not real world application.From my real world experience, the Goliath 6x10 sr. sucks with the low b. That is the precise reason why I got rid of mine.

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The G3 went down low on the B and the Sr. rolled off. According to a fellow at AG who knows the designers of the Sr., they made it to be a loud cab and had to compromise lows. It's probably great for a 4 string. I bought the G3 actually two. With my Roscoe 5 in the store same head it was quite obviously, real world, B deficient. I'm an SWR fan.

6. I had problems pushing the Sr. with a 5-string too, just got farting on the low notes at about half the volume I could have pushed the head too...

+1 on the great cab for a 4 string.

7. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    so now what about bout if i ran a swr goliath jr III (210)and a goliath III (410)......would that handle the low B better?...tha only thing i dont like is that my 20 cab would be getting the same power as my 40 cab....any thought's on that?

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Your total output will be more but your freq response will still be dictated by your lowest playing cab (the G3) as FR is not additive between cabs. So it will all hinge on how well the G3 handles the B (very well I might add, being a G3 owner myself).

9. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I wouldn't recomend that setup. I Have owned almost every SWR cab ever made. Look at my previously owned gear section. Anyway, the reason why I do not recomend this is that the Jr. will fart out alot sooner than the G3. If you can controll the volume seperately than it may work better. But the G jr cannot handle the low b for beans.

10. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The Jr. will see the same power as the III with a mono amp and will sound louder so more highs. I've done it it's not great. Now 2 G3s yeah.....

11. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    So now if i use a gk 800rb head.whci has a 100 watt and a 300watt amp.......and put the 410 through the 300watt amp and the 210 thruogh the 100 watt amp.......set it on fullrange so the sound is the same........then how would that compare to a 610 cab?

12. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
  13. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Just get the goliath III as a 4 ohm cab, and an amp that is stable at 2.6 ohms, then you have 3 rigs:

210, 8 ohms (quiet)
    410, 4 ohms (loud!)
    610, 2.6 ohms (SUPER loud).

14. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Its not going to be super loud, but it'll work. You'd probably be better off with a mono head in the 500watt + range. There are lots of them available, even a few from GK if you like that tone.

15. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I had one for a long while and I never had a problem with the low b. It's a very crisp, direct sound. Not a lot of the low end mush (warmth to others) you get with other ported cabs. Listened to by itself, I can understand the lack of lowend appearance, but with an entire band going, it always sounded great. I got rid of it to downsize... only to realize it was actually easier to move than the 4x10 Ampeg I now have (which has a ton of that lowend warmth/mush btw).

16. yeah, the few gigs I did use the Sr. for, it was quite a pleasure to move around with it's wheels. don't lift it by yourself though!