Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR goliath

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, May 11, 2002.

1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    What do you guys think of the SWR Goliath III. Probably with a demeter pre. Does any one like the Goliath II better?

2. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Doesn't anyone use one of these?

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Between the G III and the cabs it's probably most compared to (Eden D410XLT) I prefer the Eden. Between these two cabs and my EA's... :)

I like the Demeter pre but I prefer a head vs. components.

Do you like the G III? That's what's really important.

4. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I haven't gotten to try one yet. I'm going to have to go to GC next weekend, and try alot of stuff out. I'm just trying to get some ideas.

I've heard the XLT is kinda muddy though, and thats definantly not what I want. Maybe an XST, but I don't think there are any in Missouri.

Missouri is the music gear wasteland of America.

In reality if I coul just get something like my BAM, but way louder, that would be great. Better yet would be if I could make my Bam itself louder with an ext. cab. I've tried the Peavey pro series, and you can't even hear them over the BAM. Really weird since they are so much higher SPL.

Any really efficient cabs that would give a BIG volume boost? Last 2 times I've played I've had to turn the volume on the bam full to 10, and it is still hard to hear!

I was thinking the SWR might be close to the BAM since its kinda hifi.

What I'd really like is a EA, but I don't know if it'd give any extra volume.

Assuming the BAM can't be made any louder, any ideas on really hifi, loud and not outrageously expensive cabs?

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if you want something like the bam get the bam head with the new peavey 4x10 pro series.

fin.

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I never had the problem with mud with my Eden D210XLT cabs, Chris. The guy I traded them to plays Rock and he loves them. They are extremely loud and efficient. Put any decent head on them and they crank.

I've been curious to hear how well BAM's worked on actual gigs, too bad.

I wanted something different. My EA's got loud but only after I got a high-power head. Best rig I've heard.

7. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't think the Bam head and 4x10 would be significantly louder.

I mostly play jazz/fusion and slap/funk stuff, and in the jazz situation it works great, it is decent for upright to. Also works fine for playing at church, or plays. Love the small size.

It just can't get over those d#$% marshalls. It also would probably work fine in a "standard" rock setting where the bass isn't prominent, but on the rock I do play it is usually of the old school incubus/primus lots of slapping and bass out front style.

I'd agree it is dissappointing though, b/c I realy like the thing. I'm going to try linking it with a few other brands of 4x10s, and 2x10s next weekend and see if that helps any. If not I'm going to have to sell it to finance whatever I get to replace it. :(

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    What's your budget? Any problem with buying used speakers?

My curent rig basically cost me $1300. It took some patience but it's paid off big time.

H&K BassBase 600 -650w @ 4 ohms, over 800w with Dynaclip.
    Two Euphonic Audio VL-110 cabs, 8 ohms

That's a little more money than a BAM combo.

9. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    No problem buying used. Which is definantly what I'm going to do if possible.For right now I can get by with an old preamp I have. I just need a power amp (about $3xx) and a good cab. I'd like to try and spend under $600 (used) for the cab, but could go higher if I had to.
    The key is I need ONE cab that will sound good, AND be significantly louder than the Bam. I'd also prefer to be portable, but not totally neccessary.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    If it's efficiency you're after I'd look at a used Eden D410XLT. I'm an admitted tone addict which is why I went with the EA's ($600 a pair used) but for something with more reasonable power requirements the D410XLT is great. They're usually available for under $600. One of those and a decent amp and you should be able to keep up.

I've also seen the 610 SWR cabs in the $600 range used.