1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR Golliath II 4X10 NEED HELP,

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basspro557, Apr 25, 2009.

1. basspro557

basspro557 Banned

Jul 20, 2005
    Miami
    Guys,,I just had all 4 of my SWR Golliath II 4X10 Pas speakers reconed at Speaker Services in Tenn.

They did a great job but when my soundman installed them and i tested them i lost most of the low end.
    The speakers just needed reconing and the drives were fine.

In fact i had to play a concert last night with a Hartke 4X10 because i could not get the low end thump going.

Any suggestions???

I spend all this money,,,,,,,,

Thanks,,,

2. rdpbass

rdpbass Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2005
    Utah
    Make sure all the speakers are working , I know you probably already checked each speaker. But it never hurts to ask. The other thought is maybe they used the wrong kits to recone them

3. Maybe they are wired out of phase? Very likely. Or, could be that they need to break in a bit.

4. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    One or more speakers are wired out of phase. You can find the culprit by plugging a 1/4-inch cable into the cabinet, then touch a 9-volt battery to the plug at the other end. Touch the positive terminal to the tip and the negative terminal to the sleeve. All woofers should pop outward toward the grill. If any don't, remove them and reverse the wires so they will all have the correct polarity.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +1000 on some speakers out of phase. the aforementioned test will help you identify the culprit(s). If you have very skinny arms you can reach in the back and reconnect the cables but i reccomend removing the grille and the offending speaker(s) and rewiring them. However, the 410 is wired in series/parallel mode inside so it can get confusing. Shame on the repair shop for making such a kindergarden blunder.

6. basspro557

basspro557 Banned

Jul 20, 2005
    Miami
    IvanMike,,no shame on the repair shop they do top notch work.I live in Miami and had to ship the speakers to Tenn.
    I will have my soundman re-connect the wires.
    Just to be safe does anyone have a wiring Diagram????????????

Thanks to all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The other point unmentioned so far is, "reconed with what?"

If the speakers aren't reconed with genuine OEM replacement cone/coil assemblies, and many aren't, you aren't going to have the same speaker you had before.

But, yeah, check phasing using the old 9V battery technique.

Oh, and it's correct for the Foster horn in a GII to have the +/- polarity reversed. It's not a mistake.

8. [​IMG]

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Here.

GII, straight from SWR's archives.

10. basspro557

basspro557 Banned

Jul 20, 2005
    Miami
    THANKS to all,,,,,,,,,
    I will print the diagram and hopefully my tone will be back.

11. basspro557

basspro557 Banned

Jul 20, 2005
    Miami
    Guys,,,Problem fixed and the cabinet is sounding Killler once again.
    Thanks a million to all of you the Diagram was the cure !!!!!!!!!
    My sound man rewired the cables and bingo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    You're welcome! ;)