SWR Golliath III 4x10 help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JRBrown, Nov 30, 2003.

1. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I bought a SWR Golliath III from GC. I have two Aguilar 1x12s that sound great but I wanted more punch. (BTW, I'm selling one of the Aguilars ;) ) The local music shop loaned me an Ampeg BXT-410hl to play with.

Well, I just spent the last two days adjusting to the sound of the 4x10--what a difference. Definitely lots of punch and many tonal possibilities.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get the best sound from the SWR Golliath III?

2. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Eq. flat let your bass do it all. Then the cab will shine.
  3. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    turn the tweeter almost off, roll of the highs a bit. will take off some of the brittle factor.
  4. 1) Feed it the right amount of power. I would recommend 400 to 800 watts.
    2) Remember that every cabinet's percievedlow end (including the GIII) will be influenced by the acoustic environment. Boundaries (floor, wall, corner) will make a huge difference on the amount of low end that you perceive in a gig sitaution. The PA, if it has a healthy low end, can also have a dramatic effect on what you hear on stage. It has to do with the way low frequency sound waves cancel and reinforce each other.
    3) How you play (near the neck, near the bridge) and the sound of your bass (bright, dark, mid strong) will also affect what you hear. Don't be afraid to experiment with the eq and pu balance of your bass.
    4) My main gig bass is a bit dark sounding, I play mostly fingerstyle about 4" from the bridge, my Eden WT600 is quite neutral and smooth with flat eq. For the most part, my GIII sounds like chocolate ice cream 90% of the time.
    5) Don't be afraid to experiment with placement of the cab onstage. I typically sidewash my cab (it is placed at my side of the stage, facing 90 degrees from the PA). Even though it may not be as 'visually appealing' as a fwd firing placement, the bottom line is it sounds terribly good to me and my band. The PA is for the audience.
    6) I run the tweet control at 'noon'.

... and let me know if there is anything else I can explain better. I have gigged with my GIII for two years now (nearly every weekend in small, med and large clubs) and my band and audience seem to dig my results with tone.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    How do you set the bass/middle/treble/bright/deep controls on your Alembic?

Being a Fender based circuit, the mids are naturally scooped in the Alembic... If a GIII is anything like the GIIs that I had, the mids are scooped in them too...
  6. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I played the GIII some more last night. I found a good setting with deep and bright switches at "OFF", Bass at "4", Mid at "0". Treb at "5".

I'll play with the filters tonight.
  7. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I don't have anything to contribute to the eq issue but that F Bass is beautiful!!:)
  8. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I would have to agree with leaving the eq flat and turn the horn off. The cab is very punchy,but also bright due to it's high efficiency. To get more low end,I turn the treble off on the amp and use more of my bridge pickup.
  9. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Keeping your EQ. flat allows the EQ. of your bass to shine while your amp does the amplification and the goliath just reproduces it all. Minimal tweeter barely on. Regardless of the nasayers this cab can sound like whatever you put through it, warm and hifi are possible. This process sounds like my bass and all I get are complements on my looks. No, I mean on my tone.