Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR/Groovetubes preamp, do you know it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PaganBass, Jan 9, 2005.

1. PaganBass

PaganBass

Jan 5, 2005
    Hello, I'm new around here.
    Anyway, I'm about to get my hands on a SWR/groovetubes
    basspreamp, SWR manufactured this preamp only version of the Studio 220 for former Sylmar, California neighbors GT Electronics from 1984 until 1994. I was wondering if any of you have any expirience with it? I've attached a photo of it.
    Cheers!!!

Attached Files:

2. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i gigged with one for about two years. i liked some things about it. i remember it had a really good sound but it just wasn't quite working for me. i think most of that has to do with my old cabinet. i had a hard time cutting though.

the plusses are a very powerful eq, great overall sound, di, and a bunch of other features. it has a ton of low end, almost too much.(actually yes it does have too much, you'll hurt your cab if you push the bass too much) overall it has a very hifi tone kinda like an swr 500. i liked mine and i wish i could hear it through my current rig.

oh the best part i found it used for 100. two years later i sold it on ebay for about 200.

3. PaganBass

PaganBass

Jan 5, 2005
    Hmmm, I certainly hope I'll be able to cut through with it, since I have two very noizy guitarists in my band :mad:
    I play with lots of mids and highs to my sound, so hopefully It won't damage my cabs? The price is alot higher in this country though, it's probably going to cost me about 700$!
    Cheers!

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I've been wanting one for a while.
    They're hard to find.

5. I had a GT also, from around 1986 when I put my first rack system together, until 1994, when I traded it off after I bought an Alembic F-1X (which I still have.)

At the time, the big preamps for bass were the Yamaha PB-1, the F-2B and F-1X, and to a lesser extent, the Ashley BP-41 and the ART Nightbass. All but the Nightbass, which I also owned, were one rack space. That's ultimately why I sold both the GT and the ART- to save the rack space.

The GT/SWR midrange control design, with the level faders up over the frequency knobs, is what made the GT and the subsequent SWR amps take up two rack spaces. That was purely an ergonomic decision on Rabe's part. The same preamp could easily have been fit into a single rack space had the semi-parametric have been executed with concentric level and frequency controls.

It did sound good- and recorded well, although being the same basic design as the SWR amps that followed it, it sounded about the same.

When it came down to it, I wasn't so impressed with the GT that I had to keep it. I didn't use the parametric EQ enough to prefer it over the simplified F-1X controls, especially considering the GT being 2 RU.

I wouldn't mind having another GT now, for nostalgia's sake, but I do prefer the sound of the F-1X.

Anyway, Pagan, I predict you'll enjoy your GT..

6. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i think the trouble i had cutting through was due mainly to my old cabinet that was quite mid scooped. i was also a little less savvy with eq back then. expect to play around with it a lot cause there are a lot of eq options. about damaging speakers i just meant to say that there is a lot more bass available than you should probably use. (but it's addictive to keep rollin the bass knob up. it sounds so good by itself but gets lost in the mix)

oh they pop up on ebay every so often. i'm not sure what country you're from but i would never pay 700 american for one. a good price is about 225-250 american. that's what i sold mine for on the bay. i've also seen one in a shop since for 250. they are rare but you can find them with a little patience.

7. PaganBass

PaganBass

Jan 5, 2005
    Thanx everybody!!
    I live in Norway, probanly the most expensive country in the world! Well it certainly fels like it anyway!

8. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Aren't they basically the front-end of an SWR SM-400/400S/500?

dcr

9. Yes and the ST-220 too. It is a 4 band semi-parametric with all the other usual SWR tone shaping too. I wasn't crazy about the tone for some reason. Just couldn't get the mid-grunt out of it that I liked without being heavy handed on the tone controls. I prefer the Eden sound.