1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR Gurus, Lend me your ears!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chokeslam512, Apr 27, 2009.

1. I have an old Triad that I need to replace the speakers in. What wattage/Impedance will the 10 and 15 need to be? I do not have specs on the individual speakers themselves. would it be possible to up the power handling on it?

2. I believe both the 10 and 15 loaded into these are 8ohm speakers, the cab being 4ohms. The older 10s were 150w handling, newer being 175w. The 15 was probably a 200w 15, as the total power handling on these was 400w. But, the newer SWR 15s were rated at 350W, so yes, I believe you can up the power handling. Killer cabs! Eminence made all of PAS speakers, and actually, all SWR speakers in general for years, including the BAg End drivers in the Big Ben and Bigfoot, ever since ole Dave Eden left to start another company, though I forget what that company was called, heh. So, if you were to contact Eminence, and use their recommendations, you'd come out with some pretty good replacements. Bag End also has great drivers you can get used occasionally, but again, they all Eminence. Hope this helps.

3. Definitely helps! Thank you very much for what could be the most useful reply that I have ever gotten on TB!

4. I'm new here, but a tech head from way back. I collect vintage SWR gear, and study the heck outta stuff from basses, amps, and all. We have NO technical support system in my town, had to learn it all myself so could help myself and others here achieve their tones. But, I feel if you play, you should do the research. And this is a great site to get all the info you need. Write me anytime, if you need questions answered. I am not infallible, but, know enough to help. Thanks for your kind words, and good luck.

5. For whatever it's worth... I did have to have the 15s repaired in my old Big Bertha (circa 2001/02) and the codes on the speakers came pretty close to Panasonic codes. The speakers are not the same as the 15 in my Triad.

Again, for whatever it's worth...

6. Well, here's what I am considering for speaker replacement: Eminence Kappa Pro15LF and Eminence Kappa Pro 10 LF, both 8 ohm and 500 watts handling. should make a heckuva niec sounding cab.... now to just get rid of the cigarette burns in the carpet... tolex time? Maybe some linex?

7. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    That cab has a 3-way crossover, I believe at 150hz for the 10" speaker. Possibly a tad higher.

You do not need a high wattage "LF" speaker for the 10 -- what you should shoot for is a quality speaker with great output from 100+hz. I replaced my old triad's 10 with a Carvin Ps10 and it worked pretty well.

If I recall correctly the 10's enclosure is very small in there -- probably less than a cubic foot.

I think I would try a Delta 10-A in there. It's got a very low VAS which I think would suit the enclosure better (Someone correct me if I'm wrong), and it should go much higher than a Lf driver (though I can't find any specs on a kappa pro 10 LF).

You need to measure the interior chamber and model it, however.

8. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    As far as a low freq driver, the Kappalite 3015 is probably the perfect choice for that low end driver. A 3015lF would possibly sound pretty nasty in there since the 15" speaker is wired full range.

The 10" speaker is crossed over at 100hz from what I can tell, and needs to extend up to 5000hz.

With that said, I think the perfect 10" driver is probably going to be the Eminence B102. The whizzer cone lets it cover the frequencies it needs to cover (most likely off axis too) and it has surprisingly high SPL up to 5khz, if the charts can be believed.

9. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    FYI: If the 15 is wired full range, then it is a 4 ohm speaker. This sounds correct to me. I would recommend emailing SWR support and asking.

10. Chokeslam, this the Nameless. These guys do have good points. Research much as you can before goin for the "highest" power rated speaker. The crossover in the Triad is a special one, and I know the drivers were very specific for the cab, as it's the only three way cab they made. I've used them, but don't remember the specific drivers, and haven't owned one of these for years, though I am looking. The 10 speaker in that cab is in a very small chamber, but still think the 15 an 8 ohm. Do you have the original drivers still? Look at those, and call either Eminence OR SWR. Though since Fender took over, the service department ain't what it used to be. Used to be I'd call, and a really cool person would answer, tellin me anythin I needed to know. Also, ask around here at TB. Gotta be a Triad owner who would help by lookin in his/her cab. And I'll defer knowledge on which speaker the best match, as these guys seem to have more knowledge than me on the newer Eminence speakers. Call SWR, don't write, it'll take forever. And good luck.

11. There's no magnet cover with any writing on mine.

12. Well then, on to a new hunt! There should be a code stamped on the 15, or written in marker that would tell the manufacturer what it is. There is also a test with a multimeter you can do to find the ohms the speaker is. But, I'm gonna call SWR myself. Just for the heck of it. Now I wanna know. Plus, just found a used Triad at a store online for $325. If I gotta buy one to figure this out, darn it, I will. Be back wit my results ASAP. I do know that ALL Triads were/are 4ohms. I can't figure out, even wit a x-over, how a 4ohm 15 could be in one, but like said, I love gatherin knowledge, and now I got a bug up my a$$ to find out. Thanks for lookin, Golden Boy, and for your knowledge.

13. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    When you have a woofer full range, and a high pass filter wired in, the apparent ohmage is that of the full range woofer. Same as all those bass cabs with just a high pass to the tweeter and the woofer full range.

A true crossover is going to behave differently but since one of the drivers is run full range, the SWR thing isn't most likely exactly a full crossover (though the midrange/horn might have a full xover, not sure).

14. Could also be wired wit a transformer on the x-over. Thought about that after posting. I've done a million store soundsystem installs, the Muzak systems you hear while shopping. Those speakers are transformer balanced, and you can run a gazillion on one power amp, ohm loads or not. I'm gonna find out. Thanks for the knowledge, rpsands. I'm upset that I can't remember, but wasn't as tech minded back in day when used a Triad, and didn't draw a diagram from one I had. I'll remember next time. In my experience, ALL SWR's x-overs are same, but that Triad a unique design. Could have had a unique x-over.

15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Who is David Eden? :smug: :D

Do you mean David Nordschow? :p

16. Yes, matter of fact I did. Sorry, got in a hurry. 'Pologies for confusion. Darn, embarrassed now. Heh.

And, what do ya know, got ahold of SWR and this the skinny on the speakers loaded in a Triad. Both the ten and 15 are 8ohms, the crossover is just like any other SWR cab. No difference. They couldn't tell me the power ratings, but I assume my earlier stats correct. The original power handling of cab is 400w, and if the 10 was a
    150w 10, then the 15 was 250 watts. The new 15s from SWR/Eminence are 350w handling, and the new 10s are 175w. So you ought to be good wit matching those newer speakers, and that will up the handling of the cab a bit. Don't go too high, or your amp will work itself too hard. Hope this helps!

17. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Why does the manual for the triad say that the 10 is crossed over at 100hz and 5000hz?

Meh.

18. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Nameless, If you have a crossover in a cab it's kind of like having a switch that is frequency selective. At say 80Hz the amp will "see" only the woofer and if the cabinet is rated at 4Ω the woofer will be 4Ω. At 1000Hz the amp will see only the mid range, in this case the 10". At 7000Hz only the tweeter. If the woofer is wired full range all of the frequencies but will only be able to reproduce those in its range.

Your example of 400W meaning 250 for the woofer and 150 for the mid range is simply wrong. It doesn't work that way.

Commercial buildings use 70V sound systems where each speaker has its own transformer with selectable taps to allow for the different wattages you may want to set up within the system. This scheme is not used in bass amplifiers.
    Paul

19. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    The 10 will handle those frequencies. Below 100Hz the woofer is active and above 5KHz the tweeter.

Paul

20. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    What do you mean by this statement?

Paul