Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR "Hand-Made"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Im a sock, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    On the back of my SWR SM-500 it says that it's "hand made". What do they mean by hand made? Is someone physically doing all the soldering and assembly, or just assembling and screwing the parts down inside the amp. I mean, the amp is excellent quality and built like a tank, but that doesn't mean a human hand did the dirty work.

I'm interested to know because it seems like the term hand-made is kind of thrown around these days and interpreted very loosely. Thoughts?

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    What's the alternative? Robots? Trained monkeys?

3. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    that's actually a good question, but i'm sure there are many answers. i remember seeing something (i think in bass player magazine) about "handmade" instruments, which use cnc cut parts and then are finished by hand. i think it's a loose term that can have many variations, like deluxe, made in the usa, the truth, etc. ;)

4. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I think it means that they are made one by one on the bench, rather than on an assembly line. The label is also a remnant of the past, when SWR was competing with other mfrs whose amps were mass-produced by robots and trained monkeys.