Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR head upgrade

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brock29609, Apr 29, 2004.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Just upgraded form the SWR Workingman's 4004 to a 550x head and I thought I’d share my experience.

Both heads have that signature SWR sound that I happen to like. As a matter of fact, when I plugged in the 550x I initially couldn’t hear the difference between the two heads. They sounded exactly the same. But as I played, I noticed the 550x was slightly warmer and had slightly more chest-thumping punch. I’m assuming the warmness is from the tube preamp and the punch was from the extra power (550W vs. 400W).

I think the WM 4004 with its 5-band eq actually lets you sit in the mix better than the 550x with its 3-band eq. Having separate control for low mids, mids, and high mids allows me to sit in the mix right where I want. The 3-band eq and single mids control on the 550x makes my tone sound a little lost, but this problem is outweighed by the slightly improved qualities mentioned above.

I really expected a bigger difference between the Workingman’s and professional series, but tone wise there is not. I guess you’re paying for additional features and power. There is about a $400 difference in the price of these two heads when bought new. I don’t think the upgrade is worth that much money, but then again I didn’t pay $400 to upgrade so I’m keeping the 550x and selling the WM 4004. The WM 4004 is one fantastic, reliable amp.

2. get an SM those are their best ones in my opinion.

3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    This is interesting. I did pretty much the same thing. I went from a WM4004 to a 750.(not the 750x). But its pretty much the same deal, didn't notice too much different with the tone. It does have tons of power. :D I have only played one gig so far with it. The stage was big and really boomy so it was hard to really get a good ear on it. I have a couple of gigs this weekend on stages that I am used to so I will get a better idea on how it sounds. I did get it used for pretty cheap so I guess for the wattage, it was worth it. I was supposed to sell my WM4004 but it has been very good to me and would make the ultimate back up. I guess if I can get a good price for it it will go.

4. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i agree with joshsmog- i just got a sm500 off the bay and there IS a noticable difference between it and my bass 350 (which i am now trying to sell). the sm just sounds "clearer" to me, and it has more oomph to the sound (very scientific terms, i know). i do like my bass 350, and if i don't sell it i'll probably keep it as a backup (the market for used swr's seems to be down right now- all the fender nonsense i guess), but the overall sound of the sm500 (through my goliath 3 and sob) is a quite a bit different than my 350. with just the goliath 3 it (the sm500) sounds fantastic, which is now making me think i should get rid of the sob and get another g3 (damn G.A.S.). oh well.