1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR Headlite. Cooling fan on all the time?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrentSimons, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Hey Guys,
    Finally had a chance to try out the SWR Headlite in a local store the other day. I really liked it. Built sturdy enough.Nice articulate sound and the switchable Aural Enhancer was great. My only question, is the cooling fan supposed to be on all the time? Unfortunately it is quite loud. Any owner experiences with the fan?
    Brent

2. poundround

poundround

Mar 8, 2005
    Lynchburg VA
    Yes, it stays on and its kinda loud. At gigs or band practice I never notice it much. But at home just by myself it can get a little annoying. I still really love the tone this thing has and have been very happy with it.

3. Ah ha. Bummer. Great sounding amp though. Thanks!

4. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Same here, on and relatively loud. I don't notice it while playing. A great sounding head.

5. makaky

makaky

Mar 26, 2004
    Montreal Canada
    Hummm..

I just played 2 sets with my new Headlite. Gain and master at around 7 on an 8h cab( pretty much the loudest it can go). I know theres a fan but never heard it and the amp was still cold after those sets.

6. dickdrahtzupfl

dickdrahtzupfl

Sep 9, 2011
    Hi, please be carefull! There are some headlite amps with bad crimped connectors (like mine) so the internal fan has NO function! In normal case the fan runs all the time with full speed. Thats right! So i had mounted a thermally regulation inside. Now the fan is running very slow when i switch the headlite on, and when it get´s hot inside, the fanspeed increases. Now my headlite is lite and quite - just when play it gets loud...

7. Great! Can you share the circuit you used? I've never looked at the headlite but I'd imagine it wasn't easy to find space inside there to put a DIY board?

8. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Me too.

9. ialma

ialma Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2006
    South Italy
    same here, too bad the guy is not active on talkbass and cannot be reached through mail :(

10. I would think that if the guy/gal who designed the amp considered that a variable speed fan would work well he/she would have included one. Sorry but all the fuss over fan noise is very much overblown in my mind.

Also, I'd be very wary of a post from someone who joins, drops in one post and is never heard from again!

11. chrisdski

chrisdski

Apr 19, 2011
    Maine
    I have a headlite. The fan does annoy me practicing in a quiet room- mainly the high pitch whine. Last night I open it up and flipped the fan from blowing in to blowing out. Eliminated the high pitch whine. The fan is still loud but not as noticeable. Not sure if this will lessen the cooling specs. My mark bass fan was an out blower. Air is not hot- but I haven't tried it at a gig yet. The fan is surprising quiet out of the amp. Anyone else flip the fan to out blowing before this? Chris.

12. ialma

ialma Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2006
    South Italy
    My Headlite blows out.
    No idea if mounting is random since sides are almost symmetric.
    Anyway even with the bolow out direction, fan noise is very boring.
    Paul, the issue is non existent when you play live, a PITA if you use the head for home recording.

13. tmvqpbvu

tmvqpbvu

Mar 3, 2013
    Great sounding amp though.[​IMG]