1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR Headlite or GB Shuttle 6.2 with Ampeg Cab??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Godinho_EURO6LX, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Godinho_EURO6LX

Godinho_EURO6LX

Jan 22, 2012
    Bahrain
    Hey Guys

I posted Couple of threads on Bass Amps and Cabs ....And it Finally Came Down to the SWR Headlite or Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2
    and for the Cab an Ampeg 41OHE

So which one of these Heads will Work Better with the Ampeg for a Nice Low Midrange, Bright High End and Overall Powerful Tone Setting??

Shoot Out your Opinions and Suggestions , I didn wanna go back back and Place in this the Previous Threads cause they were all about choosin the Right Head with the Right Cab..after doin some Video Research and Customer Review its Come down to the SWR and the Genz Benz.

BTW i play a lot of Death Metal and Occasionally Jam some Blues with some Buddies on the Weekend!

2. GB Shuttle for me. Does all, well.

3. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Gold Supporting Member

I much prefer the tone of the Shuttle series to the SWR mini stuff.

Dan K.

4. Playing death metal I wouldnt get a micro. Just not the same heft.

Go for a GBE series Genz

5. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    Damned if I do damned if I don't...PM me

6. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    You don't get a lot of wattage for your money with the SWR -- they make you buy the Amplite to get the same wattage Genz and others are offering for the price of the Headlite. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me.

7. Godinho_EURO6LX

Godinho_EURO6LX

Jan 22, 2012
    Bahrain
    Well Watts is not So Imp to me for the Lightweight Amps..As im Goin to Use this for Rehearsals Moslty and For Live Small Venues its goin to be DI'd.

Im Lookin for a Good Modern Tone somethin i can combine with the Sansamp Tech 21 and Cut Thru Easliy...I heard the GB Shuttle is more Warm Sounding than the SWR Headlite.

8. I don't think the problem with the headlite is actually that it's underpowered, it's just that the aural enhance knob, aka "tone suck" knob, seems to scoop all the mids right out. If SWR made it defeatable (or you could find a mod to defeat it, like people have done with other SWR amps), I think this head would get far more attention. It's definitely packed nicely with features.

On the old SWR amps, there seems to have been no high pass filter so they wasted a lot of energy amplifying subsonic frequencies, but at least the headlite doesn't suffer from a lack of a HPF. Dial in the headlite right, and pair it with efficient cabs, and I don't think the wattage difference is as big as some people make it out to be.

Personally, I chose a shuttle 6.0 to run with my SWR golight cabs, and I love it. I have never had a hard time being heard. The semi parametric mids make it crazy easy to dial in a tone that will slot in the mix just right, and you can dial in the tube to grind pretty nicely. Granted, I don't play metal. You might find that the scoop of the headlite complements the sansamp for your tone goals (even though some sansamps can be known for a mid-scoop as well). You just got to decide which tone works for you.

For those that assume that heavy amps = heavy tone, that's just foolishness unless you have experience with the amps in question. For instance, I hear very little difference in the tone of the GBE1200 and the shuttle 9.0 or 9.2. Heft of amp does not necessarily equal heft of tone.

TL;DR Get the Shuttle :)

9. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    Umm :rollno:

The headlite has the Aural enhancer defeat... just like the Marcus Pre and you can switch between the modern and original curve.
    The headlite also has on on board tuner that many do not know about. I was designed before I got here - but you have to have the footswitch to access it.
    The clip light is very accurate but makes most of us a little afraid of seeing it engage so early, but use your ears those heads can be pushed more than you think.

10. I knew about the footswitch tuner but did not know that the headlite had the aural enhancer defeat. If I would have realized it had that when I tested it out, I might have spent more time with it. (I probably still would've ended up with the Shuttle, to be honest, I just love the tone of that thing.) The defeat is a great feature to have, as that knob, and associated mid-scooped voicing, was really the only complaint I have with most SWR amps. Thanks for the info.

Let me rephrase my summary then:

TL;DR: Try them both. Buy whichever brings the metal.

11. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Did you buy a head yet? If not, there is still time to check out the Ampeg PF500...good match with the cab and the head sounds great.