1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

swr henry 8x8 cab users?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by markandsophie, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Hi are there many swr henry 8x8 cab users out there? I know they are heavy but i may be able to get one for a good price. I currently have a peavey 410tx for practice rig and thought why not go for a henry 8x8 cab. What are the swr 8x8 cab users opions from going from the 410tx to the henry 8x8?

eden wt400 head
    stingray 4 stringer

Cheers

2. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Best cab I own ... very punchy ... lottsa bottom ... likes POWER ...

whatsa good price?

3. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Man, loved that cab.
    Didn't love moving it!
    And it could go loud. Real loud and still sound good!

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I used one a few times. It has tons of low end, as well as great highs. Overall, a slightly scooped cab. It does like a lot of power, but too much has reportedly blown speakers, so you need to find a good balence of power for it. It was a good sounding cab.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have one, and like it lots. Fast punchy, clean, articulate, and way more low end that I would ahve thought possible from 8's.
    I typically pair it with either a TFB420, or wt800b...
    I've read about blown speakers in some of the early models. I feed mine 1100 watts with the Eden (no, not wide open-it is only rated for 475-ish), but it is comfortable working with that level of power, when applied judiciously.

Nice cab!

6. Is the eden wt 400 a good source of power for it?

400 watts at 4 ohms or do i really need more to open it up?

Thanks for the replies.

7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    That will be a fine amp with that cab. The Thunderfunk TFB420 is 400 watts...I seldom turn up past 3 at the input, and 5 at the master...

8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have an older SWR 4X8 and it sounds great, but I haven't cranked it with a band yet. Seems pretty full bodied on top of a 2X10, but I'm still considering looking for a 1X15 (or another 4X8) to put under it instead. It's reasonably light too.

9. I REALLLLLY wish companies would start making 4x8 and 1x12 mini stacks. It'd be like a 410+115 stack but smaller and more portable, alwell, a boy can dream. Someday.

10. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I played one gig on a backline with a Henry in it, and all these years later I still GAS for one.

Only thing that scares me about them is gigs with stairs on the load in.

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    It's a two man carry with stairs.
    But, with the tilt back wheels, anywhere else is pretty easy. In place of the top handle to use with the tilt back, I added a small length of stainless "handicap rail" back there that works quite well....

12. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

Dude, check out www.lowdownsound.com.
    Don builds some killer stuff with 8's.
    Search for LDS, Low Down Sound, 6x8, 5x8, 2x8 in the amps forum and see what comes up.
    He has new neo 8's that he's starting to use.

13. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I had a henry the 8th for several years. Sounded great within the first 10 feet or so. But for some reason it just didnt seem to through the same sound much further then that? Maybe I was to inexperienced at the time to know how to dial it in. But I eventually upgraded to a 6x10 Sr and that baby could through some bass! And at the same size and weight.

14. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    I went from an SWR Goliath II to the Henry 8X8...loved it. Hopefully you have a line on one with Celestion speakers in it (one of the older ones). I used an 850-watt power amp and I never got a chance to push it hard...it would just be too loud on stage. Great cab!

15. I would like to see someone make a cab similar to the SWR Triad, but with a 12" a 8" and a horn...................I have never heard the Henry 8x8, but I got to play through an old Ampeg SVT 808 and I am still trying to find one in good shape!!!!!!

16. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I think Dr Bass make a cab with a 12 & a 6 in it. Both Dr Bass and LDS can and will make whatever you ask...
    I had an LDS 5x8, and it was sweet, tho I sold it and kept the Henry...