1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR Henry 8x8 Power Handling question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phantasm, May 3, 2006.

1. Phantasm

Phantasm I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Sep 16, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Any Henry 8x8 users out there?

It says that the cab is rated for 480W RMS. My Ampeg B4R can push 1000W. The cab doesn't seem to be struggling to handle it, but before I go out and play a whole show in this configuration... how many watts are you other 8x8 users pushing into the cab?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Don't worry, just let your ears be the judge. If your cab starts to fart, turn down.

3. Phantasm

Sep 16, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That's always what I've figured! The cones actually move LESS with more watts.

4. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Yeah I push mine with a 575 watt Ashdown all nite ... real clean ...

I'm just up the river from ya.

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I found it to be loud enough for a rock band with 350. Just keep the volume control down and it'll be fine, and don't use tons a bass boost.

6. squish

squish Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Atl
    Don't let the power rating worry you. It's always better to have more clean power driving underrated speakers than to have a clipping signal (from an amp that's being pushed too hard) into a cab that can handle more juice.

My SVT II sounds like magic through my Henry. This has been my only cab for 12 years of loud shows and rehearsals. It can take it. Don't worry about lows being too low for it either. Hank's rated down to -3dB@37Hz.

7. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    I've gigged mine with either 100W, 425W, or 1400W into it. Sounded great every time.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've used both a Thunderfunk TFB420 with mine, and an Eden WT800B. Both seem to pair well, and I ran both turned down pretty low with biiig results.
    I ran the WT800B bridged, 1100 watts at 4 ohms, and the Hnery seemed to like it real well. I won't say "yeah, go ahead and turn it up all the way, it can take 1100 watts..." But, it seemed to work well with all that headroom.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've used mine with both a TFB420, and Eden WT800b. It seems to like both amps real well. I ran the WT800B bridged-1100watts at 4 ohms-it just stood there and took it. I won't say "throw all 1100 watts at it, no worries, but applied juduciously, it responded well to that sort of headroom...

10. Phantasm

Sep 16, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Thanks everyone! I dragged it out to a show for the first time and boy, that thing is nifty! I may finally give my Eden 410XLT some rest after many years...

11. Phantasm

Sep 16, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    If it rains again, and the levees break again... i may paddle up the river! I'll be the guy riding the 8x8 with bass cases strapped to my back, paddling with my MIM Stratocaster.