swr henry 8x8 speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wbm3, Apr 5, 2004.

1. wbm3

Mar 31, 2004
    on an earlier thread I mentioned the drama I was going through to replace a blown speaker for this cabinet. I appreciate the replies and after exhausting every resource I know, I'm still back at square 1. Meaning the speakers have
    been on backorder since last year with an expected re-stock
    date of april 30th. Of course, the original date was February,
    so this may never happen.
    Anyhoo, if you've got a scrap 8X8 sitting around and you want
    to sell a speaker, please reply....otherwise it's time to start
    pricing cabs again....
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Is a recone out of the question? (I didn't see your previous thread).
  3. Zefiro

Apr 9, 2004
    Are you sure it's blown?

I have a Henry and I've had a few drivers buzz over the
    years. Sometimes its one of the lead wires hitting the cones.
    I've had a couple of the leads shortened.
    I had a speaker repair shop recap a couple of mine. $10/each. Good as new.

Good luck. Its a beauty cabinet.
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I know this sounds terrible, but the fact that replacement parts are not available from the manufacturer really tee's me off. You might want to consider - and again, this sounds terrible - buying another NEW 8x8 cabinet, swapping the bad driver, then returing the new cab because of a defective driver. Its a headache and VERY unfair for the retailer, but they are in a much better position to have it remedied by the manufacturer than you are. Just don't do this to a trustworthy local retailer - do it to one of the large mail order chains.

I wouldn't even mention this if it wasn't for the fact that SWR has made its replacement parts unavailable to you.
  5. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    just make sure they're all the same kind of driver- i believe swr has changed the speakers they use on these in one of its many generations- and the blown speaker(s) don't look beat to heck... someplace like guitar center would just ship it back and get a new one (although they'd have to eat shipping, i believe) :meh:
  6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have to agree with an ealier post that suggested that the speaker may not be blown. I have an 8x8 with which I thought the speaker was blown. Turns out it wasn't - there were some wiring issues as suggested above.

I wish i could remember the name of the replacement speaker joint that someone suggested to me. They are very responsive, reasonable and you wouldn't have to wait forever.

It's a pretty popular online speaker seller - I just wish i could remember the name.
  7. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Hey check out Low Down Sound (www.Lowdownsound.com) in Detroit.
    I know they have 8" speakers in stock and has/had a old Henry 8x8 that I think was bad. Maybe they'll hook you up.
    They also have their own in house custom made 8" speakers (their 2x8 cab is sick sounding as well as their 3x8-nuts for such a small ass box).
    Super great guys too!
  8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Call these guys. You won't be disappointed. They do TOP PRO work, cheap and have a quick turnaround time.
    I "THINK" (not sure), you can prolly use you cab with one driver missing.
  9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    That's theft if there ever was such a thing, shame.
  10. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I hope you realize that that idea hurts everyone. Big companies do things in their own self interest but stealing is stealing. If you feel that you have only two options available there is always a third. SWR would like to have good customer service. Actually so would Fender but it takes from some employee when a company has expenses due to theft. They can write off repairs replacement parts and service. Some one doesn't get a raise or some one gets in trouble for accepting this cab back. That employee could be your dad, mom, sister etc. and in a way they are.
  11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I knew what I said would be controversial, but I would only do that as a last resort. Shame shame on SWR for having this set up so that a customer CANNOT obtain a replacement part any other way. I would never even had mentioned this otherwise.
  12. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I'd e-mail Bryan Beller at SWR directly...I don't have his e-mail handy but it's on the SWR web site. He seems to be taking a hands on approach to resolving customer service issues. He's been on the SWR Forum and has helped some posters directly.
  13. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Celestion made 8"s for SWR, NO? They prolly could help you.
  14. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    This SWR/Fender thing and customer service is ridiculous. I have a goliath senior and went through a long waiting period to get a replacement speaker as well. Everyone I spoke with told me that I shouldn't go with any other speaker type because the results would be bad. One way you can test your cabinet to see if it will function with one speaker missing- get a meter and measure the ohm reading coming off your speaker cable. If it is close to the ohm rating of the cab then you shoukld be fine. If it is higher I belive you want to avoid using it. Anyone familiar with this test? It's been a while since I dealt with it and I may be off.
    If you want a real pain in the butt, try getting a replacement bananna input jack. Still waiting on that one.
    Good luck