Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Henry 8x8?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by canadian*eh, Jan 29, 2006.

1. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I have heard some good stuff about this cab.......i was wondering what you player's think about it......Is it a good cab?will it handle a low b well..........It say's that it has a low frequency of 36 Hz Which is hard to belive!!!!.......and is a rating of 480 watts rms enough to handle a amp of the same rating?as in a gk 700rb II.....hope you can help,Thankx!:cool:

2. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    I have played my GK 1001RB with a Henry 8x8 and its sounds awesome - loads of power and in-your-face punch.

I'm not sure about the thing with the power handling but I've never heard distorted sounds from the cabinet. I have used this setup in a small/medium sized club with no PA.

As I remember thge settings on my GK was INPUT - 3 O'clock, BOOST - 12 and MASTER 12

3. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    don't waste you're money! get a YORKVILE 8x8 IT RULES !!!
    it handles 800 watts rms,and takes a low b with authority!+ the price is much better...

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    One of my all time favorite cabs, and gets loud enough compete with drums and guitars with any old 350 watt head. Really efficient, great sounding cab. Great warm, fat, thick tone.

5. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    I have always heard good things about the cabs and they do sound good but I blew 3 speakers in mine and couldn't get it loud enough to compete with a half stack using my old SVT head, I tried a goliath sr. also which blew a speaker too, if you don't play extremely loud I would say it is an excellent choice...

6. sound great in the store, or if you are playing in a duo with an acoustic guitar. don't try to get any louder than that.

7. Yeah, but.......it's a Yorkville....

:p

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    They sound good, have plenty of lows, are fairly portable, and have decent efficency, but they do have a habit of blowing a speaker every now and then.

9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Funny ... SWR markets it as a cab for "extreme stage volumes", and my experince with it was consistent with that. With a loud drummer and guitar player in a medium size club, I had a bass 350 less than half way up and it was pumping.

10. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    the yokville my be fine.....but it does not have near the low end as the henry 8x8

11. Plus, what sounds cooler - Yorkville 8x8 or Henry the 8x8?

I rest my case.

12. picture?

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've not had the opportunity to try the Yorkville, but my experience with the Henry 8x8 is very good. Yes, it's rated for 480 watts. But, I regularly throw 1100 (wt800b bridged), and 1600 (qsc/plx 1602 bridged) at mine.
    Now, I will say *this does not mean you can trun the dang thing all the way up and feed it a full 1600 watts,* but it does mean you can effectively use that sort of headroom with that cab. I find it to be very efficient, fast, punchy, and produces waaay more lows that it ought to.
    It's smaller and lighter than the Yorkville, and I scored mine, mint, used, for $400-what I percieve to be a real bargain.
    This is the *only* cab out of my old arsenal I did not sell when I started using Schroeder stuff. Which is really saying a lot!

14. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Wow it really sound's like that it is some Killer Cab.I play 5 string.and a useing a 410 setup right now........and i love it but i don't get the low end that i would like...i mean it has low end but it is not the most clearest........and if i make it clearer i loss the punch........so from the sound's of it that the henry 8x8 is what i am looking for.........Cause i want a cab that has a clear punchy low end that i can fill and still hear 30 ft away!!!!!!!

15. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    a name is all it is...a name....silly..