Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Henry 8x8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by red40, Apr 1, 2003.

1. red40

red40

Mar 25, 2003
    Wilmington, DE
    Ok, I know this is sort of duplicating what is in a thread lower down the page, but I wanted a bit more info about this cab. Its ironic I was curious about this at the same time as someone else.

I have a vintage SVT that I am currently playing through a goliath III and Son of Bertha and it sounds really good, but I always like to try different setups. I was wondering what people thought of using the 8x8 to replace all of this for gigs. The band has 2 guitarists, one using mesa, the other a jcm and a moderately volumed drummer. We play popwer pop/indie rock.

I was wondering if this will get loud enough with the SVT to cut through. I will say my band mates are defintiely sensitive to tone issues and will adjust eq if its neccesary. And people say this thing has low end, will it rumble like a 15" w/o going through the pa?

2. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    i play an ampeg b4r through a henry the 8x8 great cab suprisingly loud!! extremely punchy and decent low end condidering only has 9 inch speakers..thiscab would be plenty loud for your live set up but personaly i would like ti get a 15 to add to my set up but that is just my opinion

3. Billdog

Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    They're actually eight inch speakers. But yeah, it seems to get low and loud enough. If you haven't looked at the SWR homepage, check it out. It's usable frequency range is only surpassed by the 1x18, I think. Their claims may be overestimates, but they should be right relative to each other. If that's the case, then it should get lower than your current set up(theoretically). As for loudness, it's pretty good to me, but I only push 280 watts through it, and I play quietly.

4. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    i meant 8 that was a type-o

5. red40

red40

Mar 25, 2003
    Wilmington, DE
    Yeah, I'd checked out SWRs page originally and thats how I found out about it, I've been trying to track one down locally (Philly area) for a week. I don't want one of the older style ones b/c they seem to blow speakers (check out all the ebay and HC listing, they all have replacement speakers).

About the freq response, my Goliath goes down to 40 and the Bertha to 45 yet the Bertha kicks out a lot more sub bass. Not sure how the Henry would compare to a 15, but I'll probably give it a shot. Thank god for guitar centers 30 day return policy.

6. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
  7. I've read a wide variety of opinion around here on how much "deep" bass the Henry really puts out. Some say plenty if not too much, others say that it is far from enough. All agree that it is very loud but for me that would not be enough; I need to know that my deepest fundamentals would be supported. Two of them would be a stellar set-up though don't you think??

8. red40

red40

Mar 25, 2003
    Wilmington, DE
    Two would rock, though if I could lug that around I'd probably just get a Megolith and be done with it. The big issue is making sure the entire rig will fit into a Subaru hatchback (the current one will with room left over for 2 passengers).