1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR Henry Jr. 4x8"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassbrad, Oct 4, 2010.

1. SWR Henry Jr. 4x8"- Looking for any feedback on this older cab, am looking at one to use for a medium volume jazz gig as well as an addition for a 1x15" for louder gigs with a GK MB500. Thanx.

2. CDweller

CDweller

Oct 24, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    I can't really add anything scientific, but I can say that I love mine- great tone, reasonable volume, and not particularly heavy. I think 8's work pretty well for bass, as long as you have enough of them.

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Its a pretty obscure cab, but that doesn't mean it isn't great. Ampeg made one for a while too, they have a sort of cult following. Should be great with the 115.

4. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I was running sound for a band where the bass player had that exact combo; a 4x8" + a Basic 15" powered by a Studio 220 head. Very "nice" sound, mid scooped (probably mostly in the amp) and low distortion. That rig made even a P-bass sound slightly "studio-ish".
    On the other side, I have never heard a rig that "big" being so gutless, also probably mainly due to the amp. He was basically always in the PA, now matter how small the room, he would not be heard. The amp broke once during a gig and I saw the inside of it - your average home stereo amp has bigger transformer than this amp...

The box is tuned deeper than many other bass cabs and does not have any pronounced "hump" in the upper bass, like some cabs have.
    I guess the box would be very nice for jazz with a MarkBass LMII or similar.

/Alexander

5. Thanks guys, any one else. I have played thru a Henry the 8x8 and really loved the punch and definition, that's what I am hoping for with the Jr. 4x8. Spent the last couple of hours trying to save my beloved old 1x15 Walter box, keep your fingers crossed.

6. I love my SWR 4x8. I'll never part with it. Prefer the sound to a 4x10 actually.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    My breif experience with a Henry Junior was that while it did more or less have the same tone as the 8x8, it was fragile.
    Putting much power to it cratered the stock drivers, which I replaced with LDS long throw 8's.
    Then, it rawked, but, ultimately wasn't enough for me.
    I sold the box, and had LDS build me a fer-really 4x8 with a real compression driver (versus that crummy little LeSon tweet), which takes a mega beating, and I use all the time.

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Bump for a random question...

Does anyone know what make the spears were in these?

9. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    this thread says they were p.a.s. speakers: SWR Silverado 4x8

10. Warning: zombie thread.

yodedude2 likes this.