swr henry the 8x6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzper, Dec 15, 2004.

1. hey i just a swr henry series cab but has been slightly customized instead of having 8x8 it's 8x6. Can anybody tell if this is good/bad thing and the power difference.
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    was it actually an 8x8 that someone took 2 speakers out of? if so, what did they do with the holes left over? Did they put other speakers in? or are you saying that there are 8 six inch speakers in it? was this done by swr? or did they mod it themselves? and why would you buy it without finding out what the deal ws 1st????
  3. CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    if it was an 8x8 then the impedance would change big time. i think they use 32 ohm speakers in that. run parallel/parallel/parallel should get you 4 ohms. minus two i think will give you 5.66 or something scewed up like that with lots of opportunity for a novice to screw up that wiring job. plus was the size of the cab changed. cause six drivers will change the air space requirements of the cab. even worse if the speakers were just left out the cab will sound like ass. unless the price is good enough to replace the 2 missing speakers, and the cab is stiil in a state that you could do this, i wouldn't touch it. now if it was modded by a professional maby it would be a cool cab but it would still be a screwy impedance (not a huge deal) and resale would likely suck.
  4. holy crap people, its 8 6 inch speakers, 4x10 means 4 10 inch speakers how can you people not understand this.
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yes, but two gaping holes in the cab where the other two were removed (presuably removed), would severely alter the cab's tuning, raising its tuning almost to 80 to 100 hz most likely. Not good.
  6. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Yeah, if this modification was done by ANYONE besides the most experianced SWR tech in the business, I'd stay away.
  7. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    8x6 SHOULD mean 8 speakers, each 6", I think thats what joshsmog is trying to tell us.
  8. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    The key is that SWR never made an 8x6, hence the concern over the two gaping holes the other pair of 8 inch speakers would've left, so there's no need to be so arrogant and assume that others are too stupid to comprehend something you believe is so simple. And besides, you're wrong.
  9. hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    not to really stir it up a little here, but are you sure that the speakers are in fact 8", they could be 10" therefore giving you a standard 6x10 swr goliath sr. cab.
  10. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I doubt it.... in the original post it's mentioned that 2 of the speakers were removed... plus it's a henry series, and the only Henry cab SWR makes is the 8x8.

I'm gonna let this rest after this post, but I dont understand why everyone is arguing about what speakers are in the cab. It's clearly stated in the first post what's going on. I think the poster just transposed the position of the numbers (6x8 instead of 8x6). Henry = 8x8.
  11. If you look back at the first post, he does not directly state that "2 of the speakers were removed." Plus, it's possible, regardless SWR ever making one, that someone might have replaced the all 8" speakers with 6" speakers, hence the confusion. Anyways, carry on.
  12. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Hell, maybe we should wait till he gets back.

I think its an 8x8 with two speakers missing as well, but despite this post and my other post and your posts, we have no answer.
  13. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Write this down 100 times on a piece of paper, " 8 x 6 means EIGHT 6 inch speakers."
  14. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    He must have changed the original post, it doesn't say that now.

I also took 8x6 to mean eight speakers of six inches each.

I'd like to know more................
  15. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Write this down on a piece of paper "SWR never made an 8x6"

I'm not saying you guys are wrong to read it that way, I'm saying SWR NEVER made an 8x6 hence there's an error, no matter what we want to believe.
  16. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You're right. If SWR ever made a 8x6, there would be no need for this person to make a "customised" 8x6.
  17. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Thank you sir for concurring with my assessment of the situation. I knew I wasn't stupid :)
  18. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I'm wondering if the original poster is having a laugh......
  19. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wow, this is hilareous...

Stop this nonsense, either:
    1. The original owner took out all 8 speakers and put in 8 six inch speakers as indicated in the post.

2. He took out two of speakers and as someone else posted transposed it wrong.

This thing could be an 8x10, or an 8x8, who knows? All I know is this bickering is complete nonsense and you guys sound like your on the HC forum.

20. I think it's an 8x3 :) You're all wrong!