Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR- Henry the 8x8 and power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i like this cab. i played it thru a bass 350, but i dont want to use a head, im thinking by the time i get it ill use my GK head as a clean pre amp, a Marshall JMP for a dirty pre amp, then a power amp, but what power amp?

2. SWR Stereo 800, it's designed specifically for bass, and does'nt weigh a ton. BP mag rated it the top power amp for bass.

3. The SWR Stereo 800 is a most excellent power amp. But not made anymore.
    (why, oh why?) What are they thinking over there?
    Have heard good results by people with Bass 750's, although a rack space larger and twice as heavy.

4. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    If you get a chance check out the STEWART WORLD 1.2. This thing is 1200 watts bridged at 4 ohms and weighs 11 pounds in ONE rackspace!!!!!!
    The ever famous Hutch Hutchinson was in my store last Sunday and is now using 2 Henry The 8x8's with 2 SVTII Pros and LOVES it!

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i need something with approx 500 watts @ 4 ohms. the henry handles 480. how much is this Stewart

6. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    LW,
    The list is $999.00. It wouldn't be fair to post my prices here, as this is not paid ad space. If you would like to send me a private email, I can give you a quote.

7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i sent you a private message

8. I use a SM 400-S with my Henry 8x8,
    it's a match made in heaven.
    500 watts min. bridged.

Check the used market, the SWR SM 400-S can be had for a little more then a dollar a watt.

9. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i use a bass 750 with my 8x8 (750w @ 4 ohms). it sounds great. i'd recommend any swr power section - head or amp. the only thing i don't like about the 750 is that it's only stable down to a 2.67 load (850w), which means i couldn't connect another 4 ohm cab (henry is 4 ohms) to it. oh well.

i don't think there's a problem running more power than what the cab is rated at. i mean, it's rare that a power amp sustains it's rated rms power for any length of time, unless you've got the thing cranked way up and are playing low B power chords continuously, y'know?