1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR- Henry the 8x8 and power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i like this cab. i played it thru a bass 350, but i dont want to use a head, im thinking by the time i get it ill use my GK head as a clean pre amp, a Marshall JMP for a dirty pre amp, then a power amp, but what power amp?

2. SWR Stereo 800, it's designed specifically for bass, and does'nt weigh a ton. BP mag rated it the top power amp for bass.

3. The SWR Stereo 800 is a most excellent power amp. But not made anymore.
    (why, oh why?) What are they thinking over there?
    Have heard good results by people with Bass 750's, although a rack space larger and twice as heavy.

4. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    If you get a chance check out the STEWART WORLD 1.2. This thing is 1200 watts bridged at 4 ohms and weighs 11 pounds in ONE rackspace!!!!!!
    The ever famous Hutch Hutchinson was in my store last Sunday and is now using 2 Henry The 8x8's with 2 SVTII Pros and LOVES it!

5. Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i need something with approx 500 watts @ 4 ohms. the henry handles 480. how much is this Stewart

6. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    LW,
    The list is $999.00. It wouldn't be fair to post my prices here, as this is not paid ad space. If you would like to send me a private email, I can give you a quote.

7. Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i sent you a private message

8. I use a SM 400-S with my Henry 8x8,
    it's a match made in heaven.
    500 watts min. bridged.

Check the used market, the SWR SM 400-S can be had for a little more then a dollar a watt.

9. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i use a bass 750 with my 8x8 (750w @ 4 ohms). it sounds great. i'd recommend any swr power section - head or amp. the only thing i don't like about the 750 is that it's only stable down to a 2.67 load (850w), which means i couldn't connect another 4 ohm cab (henry is 4 ohms) to it. oh well.

i don't think there's a problem running more power than what the cab is rated at. i mean, it's rare that a power amp sustains it's rated rms power for any length of time, unless you've got the thing cranked way up and are playing low B power chords continuously, y'know?

10. Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    cool