Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Henry the 8x8 - need opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I recently bought an henry the 8x8, and love it. Another bassist in the area, which I highly respect has warned me about some problems with them though. Blown drivers, and henrys apparently can make your amp run hot. I have not yet experienced this problem yet, although I have limited time on it yet. So far, I love the cab, and am planning on buying a second henry down the road. Would like the open opinions of those that have used these in the past, as if there are a big history of problems, I may change my game plan. Thanks in advance!

2. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    maybe whoever blew their speakers and ran their amp hot ran their amp in parallel with another 4 ohm cab :D
    You might not want to buy another Henry unless you have a stereo amp, but watch your volume with this one and you should be fine.

BTW, I've been curious, how hard is this thing to carry around? I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it weren't for the weight.

3. Hmmm...I've had mine for a while. I bridge my 1000 watt power amp into it no problem. Loud as hell. No blown drivers and no amp heat issues so either your friend abuses his gear or doesn't know what he's talking about. ;)

It can be a hassle to lug around if you need to climb stairs and lifting it into a car alone can be tricky. The built in center handle and wheels definitely are a plus.

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks for the replies guys. My friend that gave me the heads up on the cabs didn't own any for himself, he was going by what others had told him, and decided to steer clear....this guy knows his gear! I plan on running a 2 channel power amp, so 2 henrys won't be a problem. I welcome any other opinions, or advice!

5. I used to own a henry the 8x8 cabinet. It was a great stand alone cabinet, but I ultimately sold it because I wanted a more flexible setup. Combining the henry with other cabs just didn't do it for me, mainly because the henry does it all by itself. Also, henry is so large, that adding any other cabinets will give you a huge rig. The cabinet provided tons of low end and always sounded great. But if you have a small gig, henry is too much. That cabinet was actually easier to move than a 4x10 because it was tall enough to tip into the back of a truck instead of lifting the sucker in. The only reason that cabinet should make amps run hot is if the amp is not rated to handle 4 ohms, which is what I believe henry is rated.

6. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I owned a henry for 3 years and never had a problem with it. It was coupled to a Hartke 7000 head. It was pretty easy to move around because of the center handle and the wheels. It does do it all by itself. Thats the only cab I wish I would not have gotten rid of.

7. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I own a Henry and love it.Probably the best sounding cab i've ever owned.It does tend to make my my 400S run a little hot but they're(400S) kind of known for that.The only thing I would worry about is if you do blow a speaker they are very expensive to replace.SWR does not recone 8's and every place i've found that does charges about was SWR does for an new speaker,$90.That's $90 x8.Think about that.If you replace all of the speakers it would cost almost as much or more as a new Henry.The 10's in a Goliath Sr. on the other hand can be reconed for $65 a piece and there are are only six of them.The Goliath SR. also handles twice as much power so you would be less likely to blow a speaker.I'm thinking of keeping my Henry for selective use(being the classic cabinet it is)and buying a Goliath SR. along with a Stewart 1.2 w/ my 400S as a preamp to handle all of the dirty work.