1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR Henry the 8x8 or keep my Peavey 810tvx

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rolorocknerd, Jun 8, 2011.

1. rolorocknerd

rolorocknerd Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Kansas
    A friend of mine and I have been working on a trade strait across for his 8x8 for my 8x10. It used to be mine and i just really have been pushing hard fo it cause i loved it and and it had the "one that got away" mentality. Pushing it with GK 700rb. Good decision on my part? The weight of it would be great!?! :confused:

2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Haven't played the Peavey but I can attest the Henry is one bad mofo. I really wish I still had mine. Had the bluefaced Celestion drivers 'n everything. Used it with a Mesa M-P600 and it flat out pnwed.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Henry 8x8 -- never got to try one out, but I've heard great things about them.

Love the logic behind using smaller drivers!

4. I, on the other hand, played through a few but was not impressed. That said, if the Henry does what you want it to do then by all means get it. It's you that needs to be happy with it.

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Which model? I've tried one of the "FMIC" silver-grille ones and it was a pretty big letdown compared to my old model.

6. Sorry I can't remember those details.

7. rolorocknerd

Sep 17, 2008
    Kansas
    The one I am looking at is pre fender black grill

8. rolorocknerd

Sep 17, 2008
    Kansas
    here it is Testing it out this weekend

Attached Files:

9. rolorocknerd

Sep 17, 2008
    Kansas
    bump

10. I don't think anyone can help you here but yourself. You'll have to make your decision when you test the cab, but you can't go wrong with either IMO.

11. I love Peavey stuff, however in your case it sounds like you are really leaning towards the Henry again. You mentioned it was the one that got away, or get it again and don't let it go. I have heard nothing but good things about the Henry 8x8's too. It is true that you have to make the choice in the end and what sounds better to you and works the best for whatever you use it for.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I don't know the actual differences between the 2 models but I have seen quite a few used "blue cone" models with blown drivers I assume from people dialing in deep lows that just aren't going to be there. They do have a nice punchy sound that naturally leaves a little bottom open for a kickdrum. Just don't try to get out of it what it doesn't have to give.

13. ric3xrt

ric3xrt

May 19, 2010
    SE PA
    Not a fan of the 8X8, not enough Boom. Blew a pair of the bluefaced Celestion trying to get a good low tone out of it.
    That being said, its your decison , if 8x8 sounds better to you then the 8X10..then you know what to do. Never played through a Peavey 8X10, played through a "home made" Peavey 8X10. sound was ok.

14. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Since you loved it get it. If you blow it you can get LDS long throw 8"s. 160w handling times 8!!
    They made my BBII a pants flapper.

15. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    You guys can't EQ right or aren't being realistic lol

I had mine with the M-P600 which is known for having extremely wide and phat lows. Add to that the Modulus Q5 and it's beast of a B string, it didn't sweat when I'd push it.

16. rolorocknerd

Sep 17, 2008
    Kansas
    thanks for the info fellas. Will update on monday

17. SWRDude

SWRDude

Jun 14, 2011
    You're breaking my heart Rolo! Lol Joint custody on both the Henry and the Peavy? haha

18. SWRDude

SWRDude

Jun 14, 2011
    but seriously, give me a few days to think about it. The Henry and I have been through too many drunken bar jams together to give it up for adoption so quick. Plus it sounds amazing! I'll let you know........

19. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    The Henry was my go to at Sam Ash when I would spend Saturday afternoons there back quite a few years ago.. I always liked that or the 6X10 Sr. but usually it was the Henry with a variety of heads until they'd case me out. Never gigged one but I'd dump my Hartke in a sec for one. Just sayin' even though I am looking really hard at the TC stuff out there. That stuff just makes sense now that I've picked up an NS CR-4T.

20. pb9717

pb9717

Aug 18, 2006
    Dude.. I've owned 3 henry's over the past 10 years and LOVED em...I really regret selling them, and yes the older Black Grill models are better. With the right head & EQ, they are THUNDEROUS. If I had my druthers I'd get another, and hope too while still gigging, as I am. Tech Tip ...replace all the wiring with 12gauge. makes a big difference. Cabinets breathe more, less strain on the amp...just more efficient. henry all the way. Oh, and get some spare tweeters from SWR,,,you'll need em..they blow all the time.