Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR I.O.D

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Insighted02, Jan 15, 2003.

1. hello all,

I'm curious about the preamp that SWR currently puts out, the interstellar Overdrive.

Tell me about it, I want my fellow bassist's opinions. Yay or nay?

I usually play out of an SWR 4x10 and 2X12/1X15 in the rock to death metal genres.

I'd like to get an Alembic preamp but it's just to damn hard to get here in New Mexico. If the SWR is good enough I can live with it. Money not an object.

-insighted

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  3. The thing is I'd rather not take a "shot in the dark" with ordering something that I haven't tried out or may not work for me.

Getting something expensive is somewhat comforting; I know it's very slim that they will give me a piece of garbage but I think it's a valid point.

-insighted

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I don't get it. You want an Alembic, but can't find one in NM to try out first to see if you want it. So, instead you're asking our opinion on the IOD, which it sounds like you *do* have available to try out for yourself, to see if you want one.

5. I just wanted to get some input from the elders before I went and tried it. :)

Is that so wrong?!

This is hardly helpful geshel....

-Insighted

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Who said I was trying to be helpful? :p Sorry to bother. There have been a number of threads on the IOD here already. Try searching for them.

7. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    order both preamps from Bass NW and tell them up front that you're going to try both and send one back. shipping will be on you, but that's a small price to pay to get the right preamp for yourself.

8. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    didn't mean to focus on BassNW -- Bass Central, et. al. are all fine folks too.

9. I owned both. Sold the F-1X to buy the IOD, and never been sorry.

The F-1X is passive tone controls, Cut-Only. No boost. The Flat settings are 0-10-0. This is the old Fender Showman circuit, and it does provide real classic tone. To me, the F-1X is a one trick pony, but it does that one trick very well.

Link to F-1X Tone Stack

The F-1X is smooth and phat, just like rich butter. The internals are built like a tank. Very sturdy construction and easy to service.

I wanted dual XLR balanced outs, the Drive (grind), and the active tone controls of the SWR.