Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hungry Soul, May 26, 2002.

1. I recently purchased a SWR Bass 750 and I am curious as to what input most SWR users plug into with their active basses. My main bass is a EB Sterling. I understand the whole thing about one input being louder for passive basses, but is there a tonal difference using an active bass in the Passive/Active input? :)
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I have a bass 350 and I seem to remember that the manual suggests that you should try the passive input first. If you have a lot of gain in your active bass and the clipping light flashes with a low gain setting on the amp, then you might want to try the "active" input.

If clipping isn't a problem...simply choose the input that sounds best to you. Tone is really what it's all about...right?!
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    BillB is right...tone is what its all about. As long as you have less than an 18volt preamp in your bass, and don't use any effects straight through from the bass you could most likely get away with using the passive input. Like he said keep an an eye out for clipping.
  4. Agree completely with BillyB and FNA4. Although all my basses are passive, the output frpom my old EB-0 is much hotter than my F-Bass. Because I like the SWR tone when the pre-amp is maxed, I actually plug the EB-0 into the Active input to max the tone while keeping it from clipping.:)