SWR Interstellar overdrive

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, May 15, 2001.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    has anyone played through one of these? I know stefan lessard uses one, and marcus miller, and rocco prestia, but that's almost too wide of a range of tones to get a good idea of what it really sounds like.

the local SWR retailer is too small to have one in stock unless i tell them to order one...and i don't want to before i play it or know for sure.

oh yeah, i'd be using as my sole preamp with a carvin poweramp if that makes a difference.

2. Babs

May 5, 2000
    Sandy Utah
    I have played one of these at the store I work at. I liked it as soon as I save up enough money I am going to buy one and a power amp. The Engineer that I am recording with right now, says it is the best preamp he has ever recorded with, But I would recomend playing with one before buying.
  3. I own one of these babies and they are awesome IMO. I'd try one out just to make sure you like it. Oh yeah, I believe the SWR IOD is only a special order item. Thats why most stores don't have them in-stock. Musicians Friend carries these and has a 45 day return policy.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    /happy dance\

i knew it!

ok, so i'll order it from musicians friend, then if i dont' like it, i'll send it back.

5. how's the overdrive on it?
    is it tube?
  6. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Try Chuck Levins music for a good price.I guarentee he will kill MF's price and he has a good return/refund policy.As i understand it the ISOD is essentialy a "mini" tube amp.Should sound great.Good luck!
  7. Does anybody have any direct experience so they can compare the tone with that of another SWR amp, such as the Bass 750?

Can anybody compare the Overdrive tone against an Alembic, Aguilar, or Demeter?
  8. The overdrive sounds sweet to my ears, but I really like the preamp for its semi overdriven sounds. Yes it is tube. It has a one 12AX7 and two EL84 tubes. One word of warning though...the footswitch is pretty much worthless. The tone compared to a SWR 750 varies, but overall they get the same sound if the IOD is set as clean as the 750. Obviously the preamp can have a really fat, growly tube driven sound, but it can also get a relitively clean sound. The 750 has possibly maybe a slightly deeper sound to a point, but the IOD sounds so much better IMO. I've tried Aguilar and thats just in a class of its own. Aguilar is fat, fat ,fat. It is deeper sounding than the IOD, but I still stand by my IOD.