Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Interstellar Overdrive

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Dec 3, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'm looking for a decent pre for my new rig and are very own Steve Lawson is selling his SWR IOD and I'm thinking I might buy it but I don't know if it's the sound I want. My new rig is so far my Ric my new fender 60's reissiue and a hartke 1x15 cab the power amp will be like a 1000w peavey or what ever I find cheap.

So what I need to know is from this pre can I get a decent clean tone (i.e jaco) and then every other tone from the 60's to current stuff. It need to be good for rock, pop, funk, solo bass, R'n'B and jazz.

Can I hear from guys that have tried it or own it. Let me know if this is the sort of thing I should be looking for, for my last rig (At least till I get out of full time education)

I've done a search and it looks good but I need just a bit more info.

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Any one?

3. My only gripe with mine is the pitiful output voltage. SWR says it will put out a maximum of 0.7 volts, from a 140mV pickup at 100 Hz.

This output level is not enough to drive a QSC PLX series amp to full power. I get around this with mine by using a crossover, EQ, and sub-synth between the IOD and the power amp. Each of these boxes provides greater than unity gain, and enough voltage to fully drive my PLX amps.

If you have all active basses, this probably won't be a problem. As for tone, I really like the Drive function, but 99% of the time I run the IOD without Drive, and completely flat. I use the Aural Enhancer more than the tone controls.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I have had no qualms with the output voltage.. It works very nicely for me and is plenty loud..

I don't know what the exact tone it is you are looking for but I play in an R&B/funk band, I also play jazz, and a small pinch of rock... Its a great preamp and it works for me

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Thanks but what bass are you using the main concern I have now is the whole passive bass thing. Because all my basses are passive. I may just go the route of raven labs or something nice clean and very solid state.

Might be better asking what pre's or heads people recomend for hartke 1x15 cabs or just 1x15's in general

Thanks in advance

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Well I only use my Elrick now... and i go both active and passive depending on my mood.. or what I am wanting from my bass at that moment....

And The IOD has a very clean warm tube sound, its great.. Its hard to beat unless you spend alot more money IMHO

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    So would you highly recommend it then. I've been trying to read up on it but all I can find is a review Steve Lawson did on it.

The tone i'm going for is everything really from 60's - mega modern so I'm not to sure what to get.

I've heard a couple of sound bites it sounds good but I really need to test one. I'm also a bit wary about buying a second hand pre amp even if it is from Steve Lawson I don't have a clue how reliable these things are or where i'd get it fixed if it broke. I'm pretty sure if it comes from Steve it will be in superb condition but if it gets banged about abit during shipping how likly is it to be damaged.

Thanx in advance.

8. I've never used or heard an ISO (so why the hell am I posting?) Because the Line6 Pod-Pro will give you everything from 60's - mega modern. It is all digital but, if I didn't know better I'd swear there was a tube or 2 in the thing somewhere.

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Well I tried the bass pod through a combo amp and I was really not impressed I'll have to try it through my rig when I get it but I can't really afford the bass pod pro I can only afford the IOD because it is second hand.

But thanks any way

(Bass pod is still an optiopn till I try it with my rig to see how it sounds.)