1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR - Interstellar Overdrive

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cannon, Nov 4, 2000.

1. I'm looking in to adding more tube tone and sensitivity to my rig. Will "Stella" make a big difference? I'm not necessarily looking for major overdrive - though the capability might be nice. Any other tube preamps, etc. that can do the same?

2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I demo'd one for a while at the store once, and although I wasn't considering it for a stand alone pre-, I thought it sounded really good, I may still get one. I noticed that you sorta need a decent amount of output from your bass to drive the pre like it should be, i.e. there was a real difference between a 9v active bass and an 18v active bass in the way they caused the pre to respond. I suppose this is obvious, but this pre seems to respond to input level a little more "sensatively" than other pre-'s I've tried, and perhaps that's what you want. If your driving a tube power section, then it's even better. The real time control of the overdrive parameters is really cool too. Perhaps I'll go and give it another thought.