Swr Intersteller Overdrive Pre-amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FUNKDADA, Apr 19, 2001.

1. Any one out there had the pleasure of working with this piece?
    If so what did you like most-least,i would be pairing it up with the SWR SM900.
  2. I have an SWR IOD and like it a lot. Here's the breakdown on my thoughts:

First off it sounds good to me. The way I set it, it just has a fat sound with that SWR'ish sound. Kind of hard to describe, but I like it a lot. It has a very simple equalizer, but all the controls really interact with each other, which can take some fiddling time to get your sound. It looks cool as hell too, with the black and chrome face plate and an electric blue "on" light.

There is no preamp gain for the clean channel, only the for the tube channel. Also, when switching between totally clean and dirty, there is a big difference in volume, thus making the footswitch completely worthless IMO. The equalizer is limited to only bass, mid, and treble, but is still effective (also remember you could use the sm900's eq too).

The other thing to remember is what you're using this for. I use it for a preamp and it sounds great, but I'm not sure if its good for hard edged distortion. When the drive is cranked, it has more of a fuzzier tone (a mix between light fuzz and distortion).
  3. I love mine.....for it's clean tone! Golden throated and pure. One of the best sounding preamps I'd say, at least for me! The fuzz is crazy and fun but backing off a bit will get you you some truly blissfull, rich nirvana; yum. Try running into the fx return on your amp, check out the straight tone w/o all the extra eq overhyping of your amps preamp. The three band eq on the IOD can be quite effective really......
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Just ordered one. One hell of a preamp, imo. Theres nothing better for overdrive (again, imo). I dont want to wait a month!