Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR IOD or Aguilar DB659?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I want a sound that has the best of Ampeg (oomph and growl) and SWR (clarity and depth) which of these will be best? and Why, Thanks, Marc

2. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I'm interested in hearing about the Aguilar.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    well.. i will tell you that I was looking for a good preamp with a huge sound that wasn't going to cost me an arm and a leg.

I looked for awhile and decided on the SWR IOD Preamp. This thing rocks. it took me a few hours sitting down and fooling around with it until I got what I wanted. But this thing growls. You get a footswith with it so you can control when you want gain and when you don't. Personally I always have the gain up slightly to give me a real fat growly tone.....The IOD can give you some nasty distortion too... I don't use distortion though so thats kind of pointless.. but I have used it just to see how it was..

The IOD pres can be had brand new between $559-620 depending on where you look....

I've never played through the DB659.. but aguilar stuff in general is killer.

I got mine from www.riksmusic.com...

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Why not get an Ampeg. I have an SVP-PRO & it's as clear as a bell. If you're looking for some overdrive (IOD) why not look into the SVP-BSP? I just bought one off of Funky Carnivore. As soon as I get it, I'll give my opinion.

5. I like the IOD, well except for the lack of tone control, but it sounds really fat.