SWR IOD or Grand Prix or Baby/Electric Blue head as a preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Repost as I have discovered the Baby blue option also. Please list pros and cons of both. I have owned the newer GP is there any tonal difference between earlier models of either when compared to the more recent versions? Please describe the sound of both of these preamps. I have found the ultimate tone from my Aphex 204 and I want something to compliment it and maybe add a little versatility if I need it. ThanksAlso, How about using the SWR Baby/electric blue head for a mobile preamp/head/ headphone amp? Do these sound similar to the GP? Anyone tried usind the preamp/line out and running it into a power amp? Sounds nice...
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well 1st i have not had the chance to a/b the newer and older grand prix preamps but in my estimation an swr tube pre is an swr tube pre........only possible difference might be in the tube used (yes tubes have a huge impact on sound...........just try using a chinese tube and then using a sovtek)
    i have owned an swr electric blue head for about 10 years now and have used it on its own and as a preamp
    the biggest difference between it and a grand prix is that it lacks bass and treble shelving controls
    it also has a three band semi parametric eq like on the sm 900 vs the two band on the grand prix
    the unit works fine as a preamp and as headphone amp.
    the eq and the effects are completely bypassable by pulling out the appropriate knob which can be useful
    the effects blend knob has one hidden feature which i like to use ( i belive you could do this on a grand prix or any swr head with an efects blen knob)
    many times i have combined the sound of the swr pre with another pre (such as an alembic) as follows
    the bass gets plugged into the electric blue's input
    i run a cord from the swr's tuner out to a second preamp
    i run the master out from the second preamp to the swr's effects return jack
    then by turning the effects blend knob i am able to use just one or a mix of both preamps in whichever ratio i choose
    one negative note.........the electric blue comes in its own case which is between two and thre rack spaces high......i used to put it in three spaces of my rack with foam wedged around the sides to keep it in place
  3. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    What type of tube do you have in the preamp? What do suggest for SWR stuff? What do you mean when you say that the BB does not have 'shelving controls'? Thanks, Marc