SWR IOD Owners, EQ help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thejohnkim, Feb 7, 2004.

1. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    Hey guys, I've been playing with an SWR IOD for the past month, and I'm really digging the warmth it gives me, with the nice OD options for adding bite for the rock-like church music i play, however i have a couple questions...

I haven't been able to really get a nice aggressive slap tone from the EQ by scooping out the mids and boosting the lows and highs. Is the EQ weak compared to other preamps? Is there anything I should know thats quirky about the EQ on the IOD, or is it just not very flexible? I tried just messing around by radically turning the knobs while playing sustained notes, and I don't hear it making significant changes like my SWR WM 15 combo does esp with the Mid and High Knobs, the Low seems to boost and cut well enough.

Anyone know what frequncies the Mid knob controls? I really wish i also had a Mid frequency knob :mad:

I noticed that compared to other preamps like the Alembic F1-X, and the Ampeg, the SWR IOD sounds a bit more 'soft' in terms of its tubey tone, its very warm, but not very 'round' ? does that make sense? Does anyone ahve settings to suggest to get a nice clean tone thats the least 'soft' sounding from the preamp? The best Ican do right now is to blend the 2 clean sounds (SS and Tube) and crank the Aural Enhance

the rest of my gear:
    Pedulla Thunderbass T5 (without the bass/treble control option)
    SWR IOD -> effects return of SWR WM15 Combo with tweeter on
    (DR SS Lo Riders as the strings for now..but I noticed that they died very quick and sound very mwah-y (like a double bass) compared to the Rockmasters i usually use)

I can really live with what I'm getting out of the IOD, esp because i end up using the O/D sound a lot (couple songs a set) and I prefer the gentle attack from the IOD compared to the Ampeg SVP which was very warm too and great just not as gentle when I wanted it but more focused for louder songs (figures!), but I ended up finding a deal on the IOD before an SVP...hence my situation.

Can't i have it all?!?! argh!! I'm starting to smell dual preamp rack G.A.S. but don't want to buy a bigger rack and carry more weight....but jsut out of curiousity, any other preamp suggestions on the byway?

thanks for all your help in advance!

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I agree with you, the I.O.D's 3-band EQ isn't offer alot of cut or boost. When I used one, I found the "Drive" control and the Aural Enhancer had the most impact on my tone. I can't offer specific eq settings, but if you keep dialing around you'll find a good warm, clean tone.
  3. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    The best way to get the best slap sound is to do the following....

More aural enhancer = more clean, fundamental, slap tone. Start around 3:00, but anywhere between 12 and 6 will work. Use based on your personal preference.

Turn the direct/line knob all the way to the left. This way, you're basically running in "solid state" mode, taking the EL34s out of the mix. This will clean things up and will essentially give you the same kind of tone you'd get from a regular SWR preamp section.

Keep the drive knob off...or at lease below 9:00. I believe by turning the direct/line knob all the way to the left disables the drive knob anyway, but still....the idea is the same.

Lastly, boost bass and treble and cut mids like you normally would. Good luck!