Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR IOD Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by npbassman, May 10, 2002.

1. npbassman

npbassman Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've had my IOD for 3 weeks now and I've gigged it a few times. Believe it our not, I've gotten the best results running it through the effects loop of my Ashdown ABM500 as a full preamp and back out to the power section (disable ashdown eq, enable SWR eq). The sound is absolutely killer. My problem is that it seems like it takes forever (aka - 20 minutes) for the unit to hit it's sweet spot. Then in the middle of a set it sounds like it gets a little muddy, then it refocuses. It this because of the dreaded overheating problem that I've read about? Overall, I love the unit but I wish there were a separate volume control for the overdrive side. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Cheers everyone!

Mike

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Welcome to one of the joys of tube amps. Because of all the heat the tubes generate, the sound does tend to "drift" over time. Some amps are worse about this than others.

Some high end stereo nuts who use tube gear leave it on ALL THE TIME feeling it takes hours or DAYS for the sound to truly stabilize :eek:

OK, just show up for your gigsand turn your IOD on by 6AM and you'll be all set :rolleyes:

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, yes and no...

tubes do need to be heated before enjoying, but if you can perceptively hear the tone suffer, you might need a new tube in the IOD. i say swap it out for a nice new one.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the IOD takes forever to warm up. but that's why i always set the drive knob about 5 degrees down from where i want it at the beginning of a show - because as the night goes on the distortion point drifts down and i start playing harder.

GREAT preamp though. i miss mine (should be on it's way back from SWR, i hope :( )

5. npbassman

npbassman Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks everyone! Warwick5S - I'm going to try that out next time. I'm wondering, do you use the footswitch to switch the clean/dirty sounds or do you use the volume pedal? I'm having trouble generating the amount of distortion that's I'd really like because the clean sound is a lot lower than the OD sound.

Thanks,

Mike

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

i don't ever use the OD sound.

7. I use the foot switch with mine. I dial in the amount of drive vs clean and balance it for the same relative volume. There is a fair amount of knob twisting to get it just right.

If I ever get any free time, I'm going to experiment with a new set of EL84 tubes and changing the bias around (dropping the voltage) to see if I can get the tubes to "grind up" a bit faster. Mine is also nearly all the way up to get the grind.

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    thats odd. even when i plugged into the active input i got grind at about 11 o'clock.

when i plug into the passive (which i normally do) it's down to 10:00.

of course, i haven't played the damn thing in months, so who knows :(