Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR IOD vs. SVP Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, Jan 17, 2003.

1. I am trying to decide whether or not to turn my older blue and silver IOD into an Ampeg SVP. I am a happy Alembic F-1X owner but having an alternate preamp with a very different tone would be handy. I love the IOD for it's cool design and fat tube compliment but have honestly never been able to tweak a very deep tone from it. My F-1X on the other hand is subterranean right from the get-go, is fat, rich..etc. Having the Ampeg would be cool for any full-on rock gigs I may fall into at some point and also for a classic dub-reggae tone I'm thinking. I know they are noisy but so many people use 'em, they can't be that bad. If any of youse guys can convince me that an SVP is deeper or "fatter" than and IOD I will trade this thing. Maybe I should try sticking a set of JJ's in there first....? I will never use it for OD, just for a fat, vintage snarl...like an old Ampeg! I use an Alembic F-1X, SF-2, QSC PLX 3002 and two EB-MM HD212's for my punk-jazz or deep dub material.
    Do I trade or no? Sure as heck don't want to kick myself for it later, the IOD is a unique and cool box; just don't use it much with the Alembic's massive tone. Is the SVP a tone monster or what?
    Thanks!!

[​IMG]

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    yes...

and mine isn't noisy at all. retubed for more classic vintage sounds and it is whisper quiet (i also use balanced cables for hooking it up to my poweramp)
    i ab'd it with an IOD and it blew it away: much fatter and deeper even with the stock tubes.

3. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I agree, I think a good portion of the noise issues dont take into acount the total signal chain but I could be wrong. Mine is quiet with the stock tubes.

Right off the bat (imo) the svp was much thicker,fatter and bigger sounding than the iod to me. I tried out a bunch of pres and the decision for me was aguilar but it cost to much, second was the svp and tied with it was the f1x. I chose the svp for the features and the sound and have not regretted it a bit. The one thing it wont do is a true hi-fi sound, it can come kinda close but no cigar which is fine with me (who would expect to get hi-fi with anything ampeg).

I thought the IOD was cool but it was a little bright and a little harsh for my tastes but thats just me.

4. Well that's good to know, thanks. The IOD is just so darn cool with it's power tubes and all...but not much deep down sounds to be had I've found. the SVP has a bit of grind I believe? Does it have that cool "tube gain" knob that the SVT3 has? I love that control...go from grindy, low gain compressed to a high gain, open and rich sound. This is why the Alembic sounds so good; it has a 300v plate voltage and just sounds amazing. I think allot of so called "tube" preamps have a really weak plate voltage and just don't sound so good.
    What tubes did you stick in your preamp (five of them!)

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i like the IOD a lot more than the SVP - but my tone is far from "subterranean". more like crystal clear with just enough warmth to give the notes a rounded effect.

i've been able to get some pretty tubby tones out of mine, but i honestly couldn't remember how without trying it again. i leave everything (except the drive) at 12:00 with the bass boosted just a tad and the drive up until right before it starts distorting. i think it's glorious, but not the kind of tone i think you're looking for.

i'd give the ampeg a listen for sure.

6. I found a pretty great sound on my IOD with the drive and blend at 2:00, the enhancer and bass at 3:00, the mid and treble at 9:00. The enhancer really helped to "deepen" the tone somewhat. What setting do you use and what is your rig?

7. I've never found my IOD to be anything close to thin in the bottom. Before the glass fall off the bar 75 feet away, peoples' drinks show those ripples in the water similar to when the T-Rex is coming.

I'm running mine with the bass control turned all the way off, the mids all the way up, and the treble at mid point. Aural enhance is about 11:00 position, and no Drive is used.

I'd like to play with an SVP just for grins. I use balanced Outs, so the Demeter is ruled out. The argument is still going about the Aguilar providing post-EQ balanced Out at LINE level. I won't rule out the Aguilar until I get confirmation about how it controls its balanced outs.

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Yeah but don't you use 4 15" cabs? Any preamp is gonna sound like T-Rex through that!! ;)

9. Yeah..I'd be thinking that those Rockford's of yours would have something to do with that. with a bit of enhancement my IOD sounds just fine. I'd have to say that the DBX 120XP is a perfect (IMO) compliment to it's overall tone. It's just that my F-1X sounds so rich and fat with loads of fundamental w/o any help. I have to struggle a bit to get anything close to that out of my SWR. You know BGavin, I haven't really felt the need to dial in my beloved DBX with the new Alembic preamp. Don't even use that SF-2 I spent all that $$ on either. Wickersham's box is a serious tone-monster. I'm wondering if an SVP-Pro would really be a better counter-point to my Alembic, more so than the IOD; this is my basic question here.
    BG..you think a set of Lord Valve recommended JJ's would "open up" my IOD or what? Thanks for your reply, I think you and I have similar idea's in our heads about what we want out of our rigs. I know how much you get out of your IOD.

10. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    although I am using a old SWR 220 amp as a preamp.(as I mention earlier in another forum)I have to admit that the Alembic F-1X is down right "Serious the lows that this thing can produce are tight,and "Earth shaking even more than the irrepressible Aguilar DB680 (a fine piece of equipment out-right in itself).:cool:

11. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Yeah i totally agree (even though I use Aguilar) the F-1X has much bigger and tighter lows...

12. I am so completely in love with my new F-1X right now...can't honestly believe just how damn good it sounds. But an IOD or an SVP-Pro....? Which would you rather have?

13. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    For me, the answer is truly neither - I don't personally prefer the "ampeg sound" and the IOD sounds a little sterile to me.

BUT, they are both great preamps and I would gladly play through either one if I didn't have a choice.

If I absolutely HAD to choose, I'd probably choose the IOD just because in my (very limited) experience with both, the IOD is quieter... probably from the lesser amount of tubes...

hows that?

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i set the enhance at 12:00 as well. played through a 1kw carvin poweramp and a goliath senior. it kicks some serious booty.

i also have a full set of JJ/Tesla tubes in my IOD and they made a BIG difference. another thing that made a small difference was: after a bandmate dropped my rack 4 ft onto a concrete floor i had to send it in for a repair (the carvin was fine tho :D ) that somehow got covered under the warranty (probably cos i didn't tell them about the dropping thing)...anyways they replaced a few of the TL072 op-amps, and i'll be shnookered if it didn't open up the sound a bit - and kill almost all the noise. supposedly there's a GREAT tl072 opamp that you can replace the ones in swr preamps with, but i can't remember what it is.

15. My old GT/SWR preamp was nothing BUT opamps; hated that thing. Good tip though...wonder how I can find out about replacing those myself? Would you know? What sort of details can you maybe share about your re-tubing? What did you notice?

16. I replaced the IOD preamp tube with a NOS model, but heard no difference. I have a set of EL84 for the driver tubes, but no need to install them yet.

I only haul around two subs for gigs. The other two are for huge gigs where I need the extra oomph, but I've yet to play a gig like that. The two do fine outdoors also. Plus, I don't have any more room in my truck.

17. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Jason,

Find out about the TL op amp that you heard that is an improvement and let us know. I have changed the tube in my IOD to an old RCA 12AX7 with some "unmarked" supposedly original EL84's that sound really good to me.

Does anyone have the Jensen DI transformer upgrade? I've been curious about that too.

Tapp

18. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I've played an SVP and it definitely goes pretty deep. I really dug the ultra low switches and 5? position mid switch. I also dig the concept of splitting high and low mids on a preamp.

I haven't tried an IOD but it looks pretty enticing. Does the EL84 simulate the push/pull of an output tube's variable damping on a speaker. If it does that would be the bomb.

19. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    madsubwoofer, enough of this nonsense, just go out and get a mesa buster head. i could be wrong but from my understanding they have the same design as the 400+ only less wattage and weight. i know you loved the tone of yours but not the load so just pick one of those guys up. you k now you want to.