Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR IOD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dadodetres, Jan 5, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    what do you think about this pre amp?
    im using very little to none drive,

my rig is 77`jazz bass into future preamp into yamaha crossover, ionto yamaha 500 + 500 amo to goliath jr 2x10 and yamaha 1x18

i used to have a bass350 head and loved the tone and the flexiblity, i wont have a semi parametric mid eq, but can i dial the same tone?

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I have one that I use every now and then. It's a lot more flexible than I originally thought it would be. You can dial in a clean SS-type sound, a warm tubey sound, or you can go totally nuts with it in distortion mode.

-Art

3. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i really like mine. one of the biggest weakpoints of the IOD is the eq in my experience, just plain low, mid, high shelving knobs, and personally i would want the low knob to be centered around something lower than 80hz, like 50 or 40. i think i remember reading that its centered around 80hz in swr documents.

other than that, i love how flexibile it is with dialing in the tube stage with the ss stage. it also varies a lot with the preamp tube you put in there.

i've noticed that the tone isn't as 'thick' as other tube preamps, even though it does sound warm, and has a more 'softer' attack than a firm 'round' tone. but even with that it can do some good lean and mean tones in a rock setting

with the drive, and blend knobs alone i find i can get pretty much everything i need, and having the power tubes breakup is something i've come to really like. i've also found it really handy to crank teh drive and blend it in carefully for a really mellow fuzz that sounds nice intead of the in-your-face muff-like tones everywhere else.

i also use the 5watt speaker output as a practice amp and find it really useful in my apartment, insetad of taxing my electricity with my poweramp. has all the connections in the back panel i'll ever need, but the effects loops is in-line, not parallel, so y oucant blend it in, but i've learned to work around that with a loooper stomp box if you use pedals.

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    im using a yamaha P3200 as power amp, anybody knows if the IOD is compatible with it? i readed in earlyer post that there was something about volt sensiblity or something like that.....

also..... how does the pre compares with the bass350 pre and with workingmans combos pre? apart from not having the mid freq

5. I use my IOD with PLX amps in a bi-amping environment. After the initial test drive, I run all the tone controls flat, and do not use the Drive function.

The balanced DI output is pretty low, but the active crossover and DBX sub-synth make up for lack of output voltage needed by the QSC amps. I use a 1/3 octave interpolating EQ instead of the tone controls. This provides much finer control than the 3-range tone control in the IOD.

6. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    i could get a yamaha (mono) 31 band eq to put in my rack if i get the IOD,..... that will make uo for the little eq options...

7. John Marat

John Marat Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    Does anyone use the iod in there effect loop. I heard that it looses some of it's functionality?...