Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR ISOD Preamp or Tech21 RBI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joetiii, Jan 17, 2005.

1. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    I play mostly blues and enjoy the sweet overdrive of the RBI. Very SVTish. However, when I engage the sansamp blend, some of the mids are cut out and the presence gets kinda harsh sounding.

Anyone tell me if the SWR Interstellar OD preamp has a mild overdrive or is it in your face distortion?

2. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    hmmm i guess i missed this the first time around.

the SWR IOD can be dialed in from anything between a warm tubey sound, to a gentle overdrive tahts touch sensitive to a buzzsaw-like hard overdrive, and even be blended back for a smooth fuzz with everything inbetween. definitely not a harsh sound, i would describe it as being warm with a soft attack.

3. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    What tubes does the IOD use?

Does it scoop the mids like the RBI when the drive is turned up?

4. John C. Reilly

John C. Reilly

Feb 24, 2004
    it uses a 12ax7 and a pair of el84 power tubes into a 8 ohm resistor.

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've owned the IOD and played around with the RBI and I definitely prefer the IOD. I couldn't get it to sound harsh no matter what I tried.

6. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    to me it doesnt scoop the mids....when you crack the drive thats all it does....i cant notice any scoop to my ears.

7. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    boost the OD to its max and you will lose lows, not mids.

I have owned both the RBI and an IOD. I sold the RBI--I couldn't get a good sound out of it. The IOD does that sound much better, to my ears....but you have to learn how to work with it (i.e. combine gain, blend, phase and EQ properly)

I've ended up spending most of my time with Bassman-inspired units like the TE V-type.

8. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Having never heard a Trace V-Type, how does it compare to the IOD? Does it have a simliar purpose in life?

9. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    No. I have both.

The V-Type preamp doesn't really distort, per se. I actually use the IOD clean most of the time, and the V-Type when I want its particular sound. It's a bit cozier than the 'Stella.