SWR LA amps???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by frankenfrankie, Feb 7, 2005.

1. frankenfrankie

Feb 6, 2005
    i am considering getting an SWR LA 15 for part time gigs. this should be all the power i need for small clubs who would mic me or run me out to a p.a.

has anyone had experience with this or any of the other SWR LA series?

i like the LA 15 combo because it is light enough for me to tote around. right now i use a peavey basic 1-12 that i've been happy with.

i'm a 110 pounder so i have to keep it simple and light. :hyper:

thanks for any advice.
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The newer models are a lot better than the original models. I own an original LA-12 60w model. It's an okay amp for practicing and and extremely low volume gigs. Mine gives off a very loud pop every time I turn it on. I'm gonna have it modified at some point to eliminate it but other than that, it's decent. A lot of folks hate them though! The LA-15 is 100w IIRC. Not bad for low volume gigs or rehearsals. Unless you have no other choices, I'd suggest you take a look at the Fender Rumble series or the Hartke Kickbacks.
  3. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Stay away from the LA series. Try the Working Man (WM) instead. Check teh SWR website. I think they have new stuff coming out.
  4. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I don't know about the LA stuff, but I sure don't want any gear called "Workingman". :eyebrow:
  5. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    hey, look at the hartke B models. i have the hartke b60, it was my first amp and i still really like it.

Check em' out.
  6. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    I used to play through an LA15 that a friend owned, and I rather liked it. It was light, punchy and loud. The real beauty of the LA design is the simplicity.....not many controls, but easy to get a good usable tone. The other appeal is the $300.00 US price tag. I wouldn't expect it to move mountains of air, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for you. Good luck.
  7. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    What's changed?

Same on the SWR "Pro Series" amps. I switch off the speaker on my "Black Beauty" before turning it on. Check the SWR website for information on this. It's considered less of a problem that any fix for it would be.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The aesthetics and electronics IIRC.

The first pic is the original model. The second pic is the newer model.
  9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    That's my picture!!!
  10. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    An a Classic it is. :D

How much do I owe you?
  11. In general, SWR went in some strange directions in the late 90's.

In order, from not-so-bad to worse ideas: The Workingman's line, the LA series, Mo' Bass, and the infamous chrome face amps that are all peeling after a couple of years.

SWR has made some amazing bass amps in their time, (pre-2000's) but they've ditched some good products in favor of questionable new marketing ideas.

Man, those peeling chrome faces- what was somebody thinking??
  12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm a big swr fan to about the mid 90's or so.
    i'm still not sure if the chrome face amps or the texas bar grille is uglier.
    FWIW, i'f youre stuck on swr the WM-15 is (IMO) a far better amp than the LA-15
  13. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    It is called selling out :spit: Fender now is ruining SWR (My beloved :bawl: )
  14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No, the suckful stuff started before Fender bought them.
  15. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I got my SM-900 in a sealed box from the factory, just a few months prior to SWendeRization, and the chrome was already flaking off one of the rack handles. How *that* ever got past QC is a good question... :meh:
  16. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have an LA-8 (older one) I use as a practice amp. It's a functional practice amp... that never exceeded my low expectations. It does what it needs to, nothing more... :meh:
  17. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    It almost seems that everyone knew they were done and jsut let go. :bawl: I bought my Bass 750 about 5 years ago know and it is awesome. I think it was still built when they cared. :)
  18. I bought a new LA10 (35 watts x 1 10) last October, just to have a practice amp that I can move more easily than my B100R.

Hey, it's very compact, weighs 33lbs, has a decent tone and I got for a little under $200 tax included at Sam Ash.

No complaints.

19. I own the La15 first gen. and i can't wait 'till its replacement. The EQ in my opinion sucks, basic controls but no good sound. The pop when you turn it on is annoying and i'm tired of people asking me if that's normal. The tweeter makes a fuzzy sound and pops when I slap sometimes. The input jack is plastic, and the nut won't stay tight because the threads got stripped from normal use.

This has led me away from SWR. I know this series is the cheapest they got but that shouldn't mean that they skimp on the quality. The sound is alright, if you have a compressor, but I'd try other amps before choosing this one. It was my first amp, and I've bought it when the La's first came out (i think), I was stupid for not shopping around but I didn't even know what I was looking for then.

I say peavey or hartke would be better though I haven't played through them yet.