SWR LA series?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pigmata, May 26, 2002.

1. I need to get a small amp to use in my apt, where my GK-800RB with Hartke 410 and Trace Elliot 118 is absoulely out of the question. I've seen these little SWR LAs. Anyone have anything to say about them? If not, what's the best under 30W, under $300 small combo. The main things I care about are decent EQ for 5string and true line level line out (not headphone level out). Any suggestions? Thanks.
  2. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    The Crate BX25 is a surprisingly good amp fitting your description. Goes for a little over $200 new. Just forget what the brand is and give it a listen :)

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Fender Bassman 25. Sounds better louder and handles the low B better than any other small amp. Also has a line out, among a slew of other features. And goes for $269 at GC or MF.
  4. musimarais

Apr 28, 2011
    I own a SWR LA10 and my only regret is... i should have bought the LA12!!! :) No kidding, this LA10 kicks ass with my Yamaha TRB-5. I love this amp so much i bring it everywhere, that's why i wish i had bought the LA12 because 35W is limit when you play small venues.

TALL&STOUT Bassics Studio Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    San Diego
    Owner of bassicsstudio.com
    I also really like my SWR LA10. Out of the half dozen small combo amps I've owned, it is by far my favorite sounding. I can't imagine trying to play any kind of gig with it, but in my house it rocks!
  6. David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    I have an LA12 and teach with it. It's great.
  7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I have the precursor to the LA series, a workingmans 10 and it has been a great little small room amp for me. It will hold it's own with 2 guitars and a drummer at levels that will surprise anyone who's never used one.
  8. albertofunk24

Sep 23, 2012
    david, the swr la12 is good for practice with band?, or is best fender rumble 75 (75watts), laney rb3 (65 watts) or peavey max115 old version 60watts?