Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR: LA series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kotym, Dec 22, 2000.

1. kotym

kotym

Nov 26, 2000
    So Cal
    I just met a guy who was selling his SWR Bassic Black and, for some reason, I wasn't super impressed with the amp. Either way, it turns out this guy plays "professionally" and was just an all around nice guy. And because I'm in the market for a used bass amp as my first bass amp, I figured I get his opinions. And he sounded pretty frank and really didn't do the "musician-talk" where they steadfastly stand-by a certain brand name and talk about some sort of mythical realm in their equipment (y'know, like some guitarists are with their Marshalls or Fenders).

Anyway, this guy caught on to my lack of enthusiasm for his amp and he mentioned the new SWR L.A. series. Apparently he visits the SWR factory and tries out their stuff and gets their stuff for a decent price (as opposed to full retail for a shmoe like me if they would sell me anything at all in the first place). So he agreed with me on how UGLY they are but he said they sounded fairly good for the price and what they were.

I never buy anything new, so I wouldn't be able to get a hold one of these at a used price for awhile, being that they are new and aren't even really out in retailers yet. But I would like to know if anybody has had any experience with these amps? I just read in the SWR site that the bassist for Godsmack (?) mics the small 8" version amongst other amps when playing live. How affordale can these amps be without sacrificing good tone?

koty