SWR LA15? what else???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KoRn_Kult, Sep 6, 2004.

1. KoRn_Kult

Sep 6, 2004
    Hey guys, I need your help. I have the money for a new amp. I just need to make up my mind on what I want. ive been looking at the SWR LA15. but heres alittle bit about my setup and stuff, and maybe you guys could give suggestions? or comment about the LA15?

-I play a 5 string ESP B-155
    -my band plays heavy nu-metal music
    -I like my eq. settings on my bass like so
    Bass- 10
    Treble- 0-5 (I change this depending on what im playing)
    Pickup distrabution- both are used (knob is set for middle)
    I need something powerfull enough to do small giging with.
    Right now I cant even be heard over my guitarists amp or my drummer at all. ( my guitarist uses a Line 6 SpiderII, only the 75 watt one, but hes getting the spiderII cab for that to hook up to)

any help would be much apprecaited, I only have like 300 bucks to spend tho.
  2. KoRn_Kult

Sep 6, 2004
    can anyone help me???
  3. you forgot to say what amp you use!

i wouldnt get a combo

can you save fairly quickly?

if you can get a head and a cab

or pre/power and cab
  4. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Welcome to TB!

For 300 bucks, you may have trouble finding an amp that's loud enough to cut thru your band, the LA15 will probably distort/clip because you'll have to run it at maximum volume to hear yourself. I believe it's only 100 watts (?) or so, that's not gonna give you any headroom.

If you can save up some more money, I'd recommend getting a 410 speaker cabinet and a decent amp head, preferably 400+ watts. www.avatarspeakers.com sells excellent cabinets for very low prices, and if you check out places like ebay, www.bassgear.com and TB's For Sale forum, you can get great deals on heads/cabs/combos etc. Also, check with your local Guitar Center, if they have used gear that sits around for a while, offer them a real low-ball offer (ie, half what they're asking), they may be willing to move it.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The only thing that will come reasonably close to being loud enough for $300 is a used Peavey TNT combo or Combo 115. The SWR LA series sounds pretty decent, but aren't anywhere near loud enough to compete with a 75 watt guitar amp in a nu-metal band.
  6. Hey bro, whatcha been usin' in the band? A 15 watt combo or somethin' cranked?

Alright, you're lookin' in the right direction. 100 watts minimum for playin' with a drummer. If you're lookin' for a combo, you'll need the 15 inch speaker in there as more speaker surface = more volume.

I really haven't heard the greatest things about the SWR LA15's, but I'm sure you can coax atleast a decent tone of 'em. The other adequate band practice bass combos include those Fender Rumbles, Rogue, and Behringer 15 inchers. Ever hear of Ashdown?

There's an Ashdown combo for $200.

If you're still strapped for volume, put the amp on a table or somethign sturdy, or even tilt it back so the speaker is going directly towards your head.

www.bgra.net has great reviews and www.musicgearreview.com has some decent reviews too.

Good luck with the amp, man.

By the way, where do you live? You sound like this guy I know in St. Louis.
  7. tehy know what there talking about you know

head and cab!................its the only way!
  8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Bass at 10? That will clip ANYTHING in the market at any half-assed volume, bro.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Good call, Mike. I missed that!

Dude, you are robbing all of your watts when you set the bass to 10. If you want to play with the bass maxed, and compete with a distorted guitar running 75 watts, you need at least 1000 watts, and at least 4 tens or twelves.
  10. KoRn_Kult

Sep 6, 2004
    Right now im using a 20 watt Drive amp, thats actually meant as a guitar amp. I dont have much money, right now im just looking to get something that will boost my volume and stuff ya know? and I heard SWR makes some pretty quality ****. My brother is actually the one getting the Amp, im just making these posts for him, the little dude is only 13, and his grammer sucks lol. if he ends up getting the SWR LA15, is that something he can get a swr head for later on, and hook it up to that combo, plus hook it up to any other cab he buys? im the guitar player in the band, so I really dont know ALL that much about Bass. also, everytime I look at a Bass amp I see RMS stated. what is this refering too? thank you everyone for your help, I really apprecaite it!!!
  11. Could you hook a head up to it later? Sure thing! All you have to do is take one of the speaker outs and connect a cable from the amp head to the input of the combo (I believe). It'd be a hassle to move, but if he wants the extra headroom, go for it.

Again, you might want to have your brother check out that Ashdown stuff at americanmusical.com . It's a bit cheaper, and I bet is pretty quality, though you can't REALLY go wrong with an SWR.

Hope that helps and your bro gets hooked up right.

P.S. Korn, do you live in St. Louis? Your little brother sounds just like someone I know.
  12. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
  13. KoRn_Kult

Sep 6, 2004
    Lady in Red, nahh were from wisconsin. www.wodash.tk (nothing special is up right now really. only one decent clip in the downloads section, were puting out a Demo cd real soon tho) he really doesnt have 350 bucks for a head, and than more money for a cab right now. thats the reason why he was just looking into a more powerfull combo. but this winter he is gunna save up and get a nice head and a cab, hes prob gunna stick with the SWR stuff. thank you all again for your help!!!
  14. munguia

Sep 8, 2004
    I have used an SWR LA15 on stage for a few gigs and it started distorting with the volume halfway up. It is a great combo amp for band rehearsal in a basement or garage but does not have the balls for anything more than a small club unless you are cranked up on the stage monitors.