Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Limiter settings (from the horses' mouth)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Siggy, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I've owned my rig for a year now (SWR WM4004, WM2x10, WM1x15) and have always had a nagging question about the proper way to set the limiter.

I did a search on these forums and saw that a lot of us have the same questions, so I contacted SWR with this message.......

--------------------------------------------------------------

My rig is a WM 4004, 2x10 and 1x15. All SWR. My question is where to set my limiter?

The Cabs are listed @ 200 watts Max and @ 4ohms my amp is pushing 200 per cab, so do I even need the limiter turned on?

I've been setting it at about 2 o'clock with my gain at about 9 o'clock and I have to keep an eye on it if I boost the low end the limiter will kick in, however the preamp doesn't clip at all.

My gut tells me to turn the limiter down, the preamp up and keep an eye on the clip indicator and adjust accordingly.

Any experience here?

And this was their response.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To get optimal performance out of your SWR amplifier, the first thing you want to do is make sure you have a healthy gain setting. To do this, follow these steps:

1.With both the gain and master volume controls set at minimum, plug your instrument (regardless if it is active or passive) into the Passive/Active input. The Active input jack is reserved for basses with extremely hot outputs.

2.While playing your bass as hard as you normally would, slowly turn the gain control clockwise until the clip light begins to flash.

3.Back off the gain off just a touch. It's okay if the clip light blinks every now and then.

4.Bring up your master volume and set your EQ to your liking. Boosting any of the sliders (especially the low frequencies) will affect your gain setting, so you might need to readjust the gain control accordingly.

The main idea is to have the input gain set as high as possible without constant clipping. This will help the power amp section of the WM4004 work more efficiently.

The limiter should remain engaged during live performances to help protect your speakers from potentially damaging peaks. However, extreme settings of this control could result in a squashed signal. Generally, between 9 and 11 o'clock on the dial is all that is necessary.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this is of some help....

(O;O)

2. That's good information. And I don't even own an SWR.

:)

3. I just tried out the advice on my SWR SM 400-S
    with my MEC A-A equiped Warwick.

With gain set at 1:30, master at 11:00,
    Bass & Treble set flat.
    +6 db mid boost @ 160 Hz.
    a 10:00 limiter setting is perfect.

Some Aural Enhancer settings are:

9:00 Let's a Warwick growl.

1:30 more boom, snap and scoop without taking beginning to take over the EQ; usually better with Fenders, Ibanez, and that ilk.