1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR Marcus Miller Golight or Berg AE 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ffej, Jul 30, 2012.

1. ffej

ffej

Feb 15, 2003
    Hey Guy's
    It's probably been asked before, but I'm trying to decide
    between the Marcus SWR and the Berg.
    I'm currently playing the original Berg mini stack of two HT 1-12's but want something that sounds a little more full
    and is still easy to move.
    It's a priority for me to be able to hear myself in a dense mix, and I've read some things that say a sealed cab is
    easier to hear when you're close to it.
    My other thought was to get a third Ht 1-12, but that would require getting a 2 ohm stable amp.
    I would appreciate the the input from anyone who has played both.

2. I've not compared the two, nor even PLAYED the Golight, But, the AE410 is a BEAST!!!! HIGHLY reccomend. I Dunno about sealed cabs being easier to hear close etc... I've had many sealed cabs- Bergs & others, currently a NV412 which I love & is closing the gap to being my fave NV cab - the NV215 was my fave, but this NV412 is a ripper.
    I always found the AE410 to cut thru really well, it's a fairly 'present' 410- not scooped at all, but can EASILY get bassy & handle it with ease if U turn up the lows.
    It's a phenominal cab, I would've kept it if I didn';t have a NV cab already- I didn't need two big(ish) cabs.
    I do like the sealed cab flavour myself, & probly went FOR that sound even with the AE410. The slightly rolled off lows suit me well. But the AE is certainly a 'tight' 410 & could easily fool me into thinking it was a sealed cab, but the lows are surely there if you want 'em.
    I apologise for my rambling. I'm shocking at describing sounds & generally ramble on to cover my flaws. hope it helps some

3. ffej

ffej

Feb 15, 2003
    Thanks for the reply, Yeah I figured the Berg was a great cab, I just wondered if anyone had been able to A/B the Berg and the Marcus.
    It's been so long since I played through a sealed cab I can't remember if there was any real difference.