SWR Megoliath or Ampeg PR810H 8X10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deicide666, Sep 5, 2000.

1. Deicide666

May 1, 2000
    Well I didnt get much good news on my other post :( so I was thinking about a new cab setup :). Does anyone own, or has anyone played either of these? They're both in about the same price range (which is waaay too rich for me :D) Any ummmmm...like input anyone has on either of these would be cool. Thanx!
  2. I've played through several Ampeg 8x10s and they all sounded great.. if you're playing rock 'n roll, there's just something about those 8x10s you can't beat! POWER!! That said, my Eden 4x10 sounds just as good, I A/B'd it with an Ampeg 8x10 using the same amp.
    If you're considering the Ampeg 8x10 vs. the Megoliath, the one important difference is, the Megoliath can be used as a stereo cabinet. That is, if you have a stereo amp, you can run each side of it at 8 ohms into 4 of the Megoliath speakers. Or, you can bridge the amp into all 8 10s. Pretty versatile.
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    If you get an Ampeg, be sure you get the PRO one... the SVT810PRO. The SVT810E is not that good, its more boomy than punchy due to its closed enclosure.
    Also.. A great Amp for an Ampeg enclosure is an Ampeg Amp.

I have found that my cabinet sounded a lot better with an Ampeg Amp.

I normally use a Hartke, but when I put a SVT350H Sounded a LOT better.
  4. The "pro" version of the Ampeg 8x10 is the pr-810h. It appears to be two 4x10s stacked in one cabinet, each with its own high-freq driver. I haven't had the opportunity to compare this cab with the svt-180e. I have a new svt-810e cab and it sounds nice. It sounds like an Ampeg cab, cause it is. It does exhibit the deep bass boominess, which is good if that's what you're going after. I run mine with another Ampeg cab on top which is loaded with a 15, a 10, and a tweeter. I get the high end crispness from that cab with its tweeter and the deep bass from the 8x10. I imagine the pro-810h sounds a lot different and would eliminate the need for another cab to cover the highs. The SWR cab has one high-freq driver in it which I'm sure does the job just fine. I have not had the opportunity to play through that cab either.
    Keep in mind that a brand new svt-810e can be had for a price in the $800s while the pr-810h is priced in the $1500s. The Pro cab is also 212 lbs, compared to 165 lbs. But I guess if you've got an 8x10 cabinet at all, a little more weight wouldn't scare you away. The Pro series cab also handles more power. 1200 watts RMS compared to 800.

I'd really like to have the three cabs in question lined up next to each other so I could compare them!
  5. Deicide666

May 1, 2000
    Hmmm... choices choices... Well I hadn't heard of the cheaper Ampeg one, but I went to their site after reading this. I would consider it because it is cheaper (actually in my price range....one day...) but I'm not real big on anything that says "classic". Hmm... Now that I think about it, is there any way a person could demo all three at the same time? I know you could if, say you walked into Guitar Center, but I doubt that they would have all three in stock, right there. I think I'm leaning toward the SWR, because it seems to be a bit more flexible, and quite a bit lighter (I'd like to keep my back all in one piece, if it's all the same to everyone). Well any advice anyone has is always welcome. ohhh...almost forgot, about those Eden cabs...are they pretty good? I saw their heads and wasnt very interested, but I have heard a lot of good things about them on here. Do they have a website? Thanks again!
  6. Eden's website is http://www.eden-electronics.com
    I have an Eden D-410XLT and I think it's very good. Like I said above, I A/B'd it against an Ampeg 8x10 using the same amp and the Eden sounded just as big.
  7. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    The classic Ampeg 8-10E" boomy? I don't know what you guys are using as a head and what your settings are, but I get nothing but a tight punchy sound with some overdrive from mine. As Dave said, the Eden's are great cabs as well, but for the money, I'll stick with the Ampeg.

Brian, what are your thoughts on the Mackie amp as a bass amp. I used to use the 1400i, but found it very compressed sounding.

[Edited by Doug on 09-06-2000 at 09:03 AM]
  8. Re: the svt-810e
    Yes, of course you can get a tight punchy sound out of the cab. But what I was making mention of is the fact that it by nature provides an emphisis of the deep bass frequencies. It gives you a lot of low end that you would not notice running the same signal into different speakers. It has to do with the physical acoustics of the cab design.

Re: the Mackie 1400i

I use this amp to power my svt-810. I think the sound is great. As with any amp, it sounds best when there's plenty of juice available at the power outlet. But I've been forced to run my rig on less than ideal power (dropping below 112 volts) and the amp is still able to deliver. I've also had breakers trip on the circuit I was plugged into and the protection features of the amp worked perfectly (well, it was plugged into a Furman too, so maybe we'll give it the credit). So with these things in mind I think it is a good reliable amp. It runs quite cool too. I am not worried about it ever overheating, even though it's sitting on top of another power amp. It has plenty of power. I use mine in bridge-mono (1400 watts) strait into the 8x10. Major air movement! Loads of headroom.

As far as it being compressed sounding, I don't really see that. It could start to sound that way if it were running on low power though. I know what that sounds like. Maybe that's the sort of thing you experienced. There are defeatable limiter circuits in there too. Maybe that's what you were running into. You could try turning them off. You could also play with the CD horn "air" eq circuit in it to change its response.

Are there better power amps available? Sure there are. But the Mackie is great for the price you pay for it. In my opinion, the Mackie 1400i kicks some ass just fine for me. I don't have any problem with it. It's a good amp.
  9. Well, I am no expert i haven't used any... but i know that P-Nut (311) and Dirk Lance (Incubus) use SWR amps...if you want to see if any professionals use them...I don't know if this helps you one bit but i figure I'd say something.

10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    P-Nut uses SWR, but he has 3 SM-900's running into 2 Big Ben's, 2 Goliath Sr.'s, 2 Goliath Jr.'s, and 1 Henry the 8x8. Quite different from a single megoliath, though I'd be plenty happy with either setup.
  11. groovboi

Oct 5, 2001
    Just to get the facts straight, the last time I saw 311 (about a year ago), P-nut was playing through two Goliath III's and a Megoliath. He had the Goliath's next to eachother and on top of the Megoliath which was laying on its side.

I know he did use the 2 4x10, 8x8, and 2 18's setup in the past but it seems that now he's content with 16 10's. I think I might be content with 16 10's too. Yeah, that would be great.

aka groovboi
  12. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    have you seen how much the Ampeg Pro 8x10 weighs!??!?!?!?

i would go with the SWR, but i like SWR's sound better. not to mention the SWR wouldnt take quite as few roadies .....
  13. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    actually, i am set on the SWR Megoliath as a new purchase for me. its a great cab, great clean low bass definition (the clean bass tone that you can make your colon open right up, no joke,:D ) the tone of the mids and highs together are incredible. what im doing is adding a bbe sonic maxim to it, and will improve it, yet i think the amp doesnt need much improvement in tone from the Ampeg SVP-PRO preamp and Carvin DCM1500 poweramp (1500 watts@4 ohms), that'll be feeding it. just remember this fact, before you buy it, please check your local law enforcement codes about how loud a personal sound system reach:p the f*cker is loud, and very badass looking with the chrome nonvibrating ground grill and the nice transportation features its got, (which are 2 galvanized steel 1" thick handles on top back, great for wheeling around, kudos to SWR for this ingenious thought that not even Ampeg dared to think about, or anyone else for that matter) SWR rules, get this cab, and become a happy little boy like me!!!:)
  14. I've used both. I'm sorry the added features and the sound of the SWR Megoliath just bury the Ampeg. Just my humble opinion. Some the innovations of that the SWR 8X10 has left me shaking my head at why the other companies couldn't have added them.
    While I do endorse a few products I am not an official SWR endorsee.
  15. Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    I would like to wake this thread up and see what current comparisons are on these two different manufacturers.
    I'm going to be buying something new in the next week and the megoliath looks awesome. I have a 750X head that is pushing a son of bertha and goliath jr. The cabs are really nice but junior has a busted speaker and fixing him right now instead of upgrading doesn't make $ense.
  16. CliffD

CliffD Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    My first real amp was a SWR SM900 that I played through an ampeg 8x10 and I always loved the sound. I had a chance to play through a megoliath 8x10 and I thought there was no comparison at all, the SWR 8x10 fell short in every way next to the ampeg. Although now a days I'd go for a boogie cabinet first.
  17. dsanders

Jan 22, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I have owned both. To my ears and back the SWR is the clear winner in every way. There are some major differences between the two, namely the designs themselves. The SWR sounds more authorative, has more immediate lows, and is "crisper" than the Ampeg. It is also much easier to move than the Ampeg. I would describe them as "crisp and immediate" (SWR) vs "distant and throaty" (Ampeg).