1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR Megoliath VS. Ampeg 810e...Pros & cons

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LaquerFunkMonk, May 7, 2006.

1. LaquerFunkMonk

LaquerFunkMonk

Mar 23, 2006
    Florida
    I've been developing some G.A.S. for a SWR Megoliath 810. Ive done quite a bit of research on TB. Opinion seem to split ways between Megoliath and the Ampeg 810 Fridge. Either you love it or you hate it. Others say a Bergantino NV 610 kills both of these.

But, to me, the Megoliath looks really good on paper.
    Here's what i got on my reserch from doin homework on both.Im listing some pro's and cons from the best of my knowlege (and what i got from TBer's)

SWR Megoliath:Features: 1 Tweeter, 2 Ported holes in the back of the cab, You can run it stereo
    However, some say the sound is too bright....(cant you just turn the tweeter down some, or treble settings? is "bright" a bad thing?)

Ampeg 810:No ports, no tweeter, just pure midrange power to cut through anything. This thing has been the standard,most every major leage bass player has or has had one, not to mention some of my favorites.

So...I really Want them both!!! but i can only get one for now.
    I play funk and heavy metal, and i thought the Megoliath would be the best thing for my current situation. Thanks

2. One man's opinion: Usually, you can take a high-fi sound like the SWR and EQ a ton of mid into it and make it a train if you need to. Typically the cab can produce those frequencies, it's just not tuned to. You can't dial in extra low frequency as easliy if the cab isn't designed to do it. All things equal, it appears from their respective sites, that they use the same measurement for frequency response, which is -3db, with SWR going the extra step telling you that their measurement was 1watt/1meter, but no weighting specification. The 3 8x10s from ampeg both have a stated rolloff at ~50 hz, while the SWR has a stated at 37 hz.

3. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    lots of big name funk players use the fridge...

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The Ampeg and Megoliath get totally different sounds. A Bergantino 610 is a great alternative to the Ampeg, I think it sounds better and is lighter, but I would not use it if you are going for the tone that a SWR cab gets. The Ampeg has a mid bump and a much more vintage vibe; the SWR is an extremely scooped very modern sounding cab.

5. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I had the opportunity to own both cabs at the same time.And although I liked them both,I prefered the SWR over the Amepg.The SWR was more efficient,iow,more volume with the same amp settings,it was cleaner sounding ,althought you can muddy it up with eq. I could definitely hear it better in a band setting than the Ampeg.The only downside to the SWR was it's physical size.It is bigger than the Ampeg,and a bit more of a pain to load in and out.So depending on what you have for transportation,the size may not be a factor. If you get a chance,try them both out side by side,and let your ears decide.You can make the SWR sound like an Ampeg,but not the other way around. Just depends on what tone you like.

6. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Specs are specs, our ears are much different. Definitely A/B them and get the one you like the most. One thing to look at is the amount of low end needed on stage is not a lot. You can get by without the extra lows, just let the PA guy take care of the extra lows. Personally, I can get my Ampeg 810e fairly clean and punchy sounding with my SVT 2 PRO. I think the midrange push of the Ampeg 810 is your best bet for a rock band. SWR has quality products, but they are towards the cleaner side of the sound spectrum. I get plenty of lows with my 810, even with my 5 string. When I eventually go live, I would mic the cab (capture the character of the 810) and send the sound guy a direct sound from my bass for the extra lows.

7. LaquerFunkMonk

LaquerFunkMonk

Mar 23, 2006
    Florida
    thanks guys, keep em comin

8. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    What kind of head do you plan on using with these? Ive prefer SWR cabs to Ampeg. To me, Ampeg are just to muddy sounding. I love the punch of SWRs.

9. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    seems like you need some sound clips!!