Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR, Mesa Boogie or Eden?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aceofbass88, Nov 9, 2002.

1. aceofbass88

aceofbass88

Jul 23, 2002
    I feel confused on which company i should go with, i like SWR for their range of cabinets and amps, but mesa boogie has that sweet tube sound, and Eden is just a great compny with great tones and cabs and heads, i dont know which one to go with, will someone help me!

2. I really wouldn't mind havin a boogie 400 head, but they cost quite bit to retube. I have had my swr for 5 yrs now, it has great tone and hs been really reliable

3. Screw those companies get AMPEG instead

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You should get ... oh, just ask around.

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I'd suggest Ampeg or SWR...I was trying out an Eden cabinet, 1x15, and took it back in 24 hours...too trebly for my liking, even when I rolled off the horn entirely. If you want great tone, go SWR or Ampeg.:)

6. swr gets my vote...that's what my next rig is going to be

7. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Too many people are turned off by the cost of retubing the 400+, but they don’t realize that the power amp tubes will probably last over three years, and the 12AX7's will last even longer than that. I have never even slightly regretted buying mine.

8. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    zon, its still like having to buy a new head every three years. what, like, 100 bucks a tube? 12ax7s arent a big deal but power tubes are.

9. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    If at all possible you should try out the gear you are considering. Tone is a very personal thing and the tone that thrills the rest of us may not be what you are after.

That said, I've settled on Demeter pre>Stewart power amp>Eden 210 or 410 XLT cabinets as my main rig for most gigs. I use a Sunn 1200S head with the 410 for blues and rock gigs because the Sunn has a bit of grind to the tone.

Another player did not like Eden cabs (although he tried a 115 XLT which I did not like either) and I love the Eden cabs with 10" speakers. They work the best for me out of the cabinets that I've tried and that includes SWR, Aguilar, Epifani, Ampeg and Bergantino. All of those brands are good and I'm sure there are players here who favor each of those brands. You really should try to audition the equipment and make up your own mind.

Don't forget that a good part of your tone is really in your hands. I have no doubt that if Jaco played one of my Pedulla fretless basses through my rig he would still sound just like himself.

Good luck and take one last piece of advice from an older player who has tried a lot of gear and spent a lot of money along the way.........Try a lot of gear before you buy and then buy the equipment that is best for your tone and application. It may cost more initially to get the best equipment, however, it will be cheaper in the long run. I've never kept any gear that I bought instead of what I really wanted.

Chuck

10. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

More like $140.-$200. per matched set of 12 6L6/5881 tubes.

11. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    I think to be the greatest Eden fan on talkbass....after Munji of course!:D

But to give you an advice,you should explain us what kind of music you play,what kind of sounds you needm,what kind of amp you prefere.

12. aceofbass88

aceofbass88

Jul 23, 2002
    I play hardrock/ funk and jazz, i like amps that give a warm roar to you when you play them.