Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Mini Mo'Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    These preamps look like they have some pretty cool stuff and tone shapers. Anyone ever tried one, and if so how did it sound/play?

2. CurbowPete

CurbowPete

Aug 28, 2004
    USA
    I'm also very interested in this unit...

-Pete

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Here's a thread with a pretty good discussion on the Mini Mo'. It also contains a link to my personal review on my site, but I'll make it easy and give you one here as well.

As for my thoughts on it, they're pretty well written-out in the thread and review, but I'll simply add this. I spent two solid years playing through every pre I could get my hands on trying to find what I'd always heard as my sound in my head. I'm not a "buy it-try it-sell it" kind of guy - in the vast majority of cases I keep what I buy. I've never sold a bass, and the only effects I've sold were ones whose functions were replaced by the Mini Mo' (given that it was a Akai Deep Impact and considering the reputation that unit has, that alone should say something about the Mo's BassSynth and Subwave effects. ;)) It's been a "rebuilding year" as to my rig, and my decision on what pre I wanted to run was one that would last as long a time as I could consider.

My Mini Mo' not only passed that test, it's given me the vast majority of what I'd heard in my head (of course, my basses were the other factor) pretty much since I started playing bass outside of my bedroom... about 10 years now. My only regret is that I didn't have it for recordings and gigs earlier in my career, but as it wasn't invented then I don't beat myself up to hard over it. :smug:

If it were stolen, I'd buy another in an instant. While my bass GAS runs rampant, I have no preamp equivalent. Simply put, it is my sound, the one I searched a decade for.

The only advice I can repeat (I've said so in the linked thread) is that because of the vast amount of available sounds and complexity in the unit's nature, I'd suggest you print out some of SWR's suggested settings before you try it. It's not a "plug 'n play" preamp, but I've found that's a positive factor. I like variety. :D