SWR Mo' Bass Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

For starters, it's a REALLY cool head. I've only had a chance to use it solo thus far, but I'm taking it to practice on Thurs. I really like the effects. The overdrive is much better than my Boss bass overdrive pedal (warmer, prob because it uses a real tube vs a tube emulator on the Boss). The subwave is cool, but I really don't see using that much. The chorus is "warmer" than my Boss chorus too and I like the depth to it much better. The one item that I think is the coolest but probably has the least amount of real world use is the bass synth. I can get the coolest sounds out of it, especially when coupled with other effects. Very techno-industrial/acid trip sounding.

It also seems to have plenty of power, but I can't say for sure until I take it to practice and then gig it too. The power is STRONGLY influenced by how much pre-amp you feed it. This is probably why some feel it's underpowered. If the signal from your bass is not hot (hot passive OR from an active bass), you must crank the pre-amp pretty high (just before clipping) to get the power amps to push, but once they do, it seems pretty damn loud. The "clip" LED turns green when it see's a fairly good signal and changes to red once it starts to clip. Some may have been seeing the green light come on and mistake that for clipping. I could see how that would make some feel that the head has no real volume if they did not crank it till it's on the edge of going red.

I also managed to pick up a Mo' Control pedal (old stock at a guitar center, got it for $110 vs the original MSRP of $399!). It's the original one with the filter sweep "wah" type add-on pedal vs the newer one that did not include it. It didn't come with cables, but I found one of the two cables local and the other is on it's way to me vs mail-order (both were cheap).

My only concern is that the head may be a little too hi-fi, brighty bright in pure clean mode (no effects), but until I use it in a practice or live setting, I can't say for sure. I can always add a little overdrive to warm things up a bit. As for the knobs, controls, etc., no center dents, but the knobs do feel strudy as do the switches, etc. I believe that SWR made have had some issues with the knobs and pots on early release Mo's, but mine was a late release, made somewhere in late 2002 or early 2003 judging from the inspection sticker dates on the PCB boards inside the head.

That's about it thus far. More to come later after I've had it at band practice and gigged with it..
    Dave Neal likes this.
  2. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Good to hear you are liking it so far. Rock on :bassist: !
  3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    my SWR 350x head adopted this effect from the Mo' Bass, and i literally laughed at it at first. i've since seen the error of my ways and use it regularly, when i'm doing upper fretboard work it really helps to maintain the low end. :cool:
  4. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^I'd agree with that.

My teacher has a Mo' and whilst I play through it in his studio at home, I think it sounds a little too hi-fi for me (He uses an all SWR rig + Spectors) but when I hear him play live it sounds awesome. Full and tight lows, yet that clean tone lets him cut through easily. His slap tone is just awesome.
    I think you'll be happy :)