SWR Mo' Bass who likes it

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassvirtuoso13, Apr 18, 2001.

1. I like the way they look. As far as the sound is concerned I think they could have made that a bit better.
  2. Flea24

Apr 7, 2000
    i have played one a little bit i didnt find any problems with it but i didnt play it very loud so overall im sure its a pretty good amp
  3. bootyquake

Mar 29, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I played the Mo' Bass, and I thought they should have packed more tone and power in the amp and effects. It seemed to lack the authority of other straight-ahead SWR products. The effects were OK, but not worth the extra $500 built into the amp.

Don't get me wrong--SWR rules in my mind. But get a nice amp from them, and spend the dough on some killer pedals.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, Charlie!

Do you have a famous sister with the same last name?
  5. No sista. I believe her name is spelled Quattro.
    Sorry to disappoint you. I guess you were hoping for an introduction?

Charlie Quatro (C4 for short) is just a stage name I use.

Here's a link to a couple "pieces" I recorded.
    Although I didn't play a whole lot of bass on them.
    It's still interesting stuff.

6. I personally dont like it cause there is too much stuff to break down in my opinion.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have no interest in this amplifier.
  8. I tried one out at NAMM earlier this year and I dug the synth effects. However, I tried it out again a few weeks ago at Guitar Center in El Cerrito and I couldn't get any of the cool tones I got at NAMM. I think that getting a configuration of synth controls that work good together is pretty tricky. Also, the effects weren't all that great, in my opinion. It's a cool amp. Just not worth $1500.

Last week, I tried it again with my own-bass side-by-side with an SWR SM-900 and an Eden WT-600. Again, I didn't really like the Mo' Bass all that much. I was really hoping I would because I had enough money to buy it if I did. But I didn't. The SM-900 sounded pretty good but the Eden was much better. I was really surprised. I really expected more from the SWR. I tried the SM-900 through a Triad which is what I have and the WT-600 through an Eden 115XLT.

To test the quality of the amps, I set the eq's flat and the enhancers at 12 o'clock. The Eden just sounded killer flat. The SWR would have required some tweaking to get the tone I wanted. I didn't mess with it though because I wanted to explore the Eden further. In my opinion, an amp should sound great flat with maybe a little mid-pre-shape which is what those enhancer controls seem to do.

I walked out with the WT-600 and an Eden 210XLT. I had to return the WT-600 though because it had some balance issues between the two channels. I just ordered a new WT-800 from a local Eden dealer ( http://www.univibe.com/ in Berkeley ) and am waiting for another 210XLT to come in ( can you say stereo! ).

So, anyway, I really wanted to like the Mo' Bass. It just didn't do it for me. If I want an Octave and a Chorus, I can use my Boss pedals or get some EBS versions. The main thing I liked about the synth was the envelope filter sound but I couldn't get it to work right. Again, an EBS pedal or MuTron would probably do the trick.

Don't take my word for it though. You my try it and love it. Give it a shot. If you want a great amp though, make sure you compare it to an Eden!

- Dave
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I think my problem with it stemmed from the fact that I couldn't get a good primary sound to begin with. The effects weren't up to the outboards I've used either.
  10. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    i played a mo' bass in the store awhile back thru an swr megoliath (8x10). i thought it was fun to play around with.

some thoughts - i'm not sure how much i would use the analog effects except the chorus. i like alot of depth and very little rate. the power section appears to be the same one from the sm-900. i think the mo' eq should have been graphic. i like having a 50hz slider, y'know?

overall, i think it's pretty cool. i'm thinking of buying one, but i want to play thru it again first with my bass...
  11. I played one for a while, but did not like it. The effects were kind of cheesy. Whenver I play an SWR, they always seem to suck out all my tone. Like most SWR amps, I found it hard to get a decent tone to start with. Your mileage may vary.
  12. I generally like SWR amps, and found the Mo'Bass flat unaffected tone to be good, but not as good as other SWR amps.

I thought the distortion was mediocre, the synth was interesting, but really hard to get any sound whatsoever out of (as in most settings seemed to result in me playing and very little sound coming out), and the chorus sounded downright cheap.

It does look cool though. ;)
  13. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I used to drool all over those things man, then I actually played through one. Man, they are too hard to get sounding just right, unlike most of SWR's stuff. Another thing, the effects are a little too weak, all of the effects that I have with my pedals now are better, so why would I fork out the extra cash to get it, man, boo.
  14. I hear ya Bassdude.. before the Mo'Bass came out I thought it was going to be the ultimate amp.
  15. played one at the Musician's Friend warehouse/store the other day. I was appalled at the lack of quality. It seemed like the thing was about to fall apart any minute. Cheap knobs and controls. Sounded OK, but not worth $500 (oh yeah, or the $1500 they want for it).
  16. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i played one for about 15 minutes with a music man 5 string (the closest bass they had in the store to my warwick 5) and i dug it. it was through an swr goliath 3 and a SOB. i didn't get a chance to really fiddle with it, but flat it got a lot better tone than my 350 did.

i DO wish it had built in compression and a parametric, but oh well...i'll prolly still get one. :D

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I still can't believe that people actually consider amps on the way they look - they're just boxes with knobs on!!

To me it's the same as getting catalogues and drooling over microwave ovens or refrigerators!

Come on - the only thing is the way they sound and who cares what it looks like or things like "advertising" promises? OK - durability, weight etc come into it, but they are all things that you can only judge by trying it out in the shop or using it "in anger".
  18. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I think the mo bass is OK , as far as analog effects its kind of a overkill, I use a SWR 750 and its great for what I play, very basic amp, plug in and go, I put the mo bass in the same area as the night bass with lots of stuff I wont use, SWR has some great amps but this one just did not do it for me ! I would get a sm900 or 750 over this head anyday.But thats just my outlook on it !
  19. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    intrigued that the mo'control was shipping now, i decided to take a look at the SWR website and see what it looked like.

um...that looks like i built it in my basement. i mean, i would have expected some serious stompin pedal type pedals, not a bunch of little switches....it just doesn't look like it'd hold up.

fvck it. i'm gettin an interstellar overdrive, carvin poweramp, and an arseload of pedals!