Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SWR Mo' Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Michael Yetton, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Michael Yetton

Michael Yetton

Dec 11, 2000
    Essex, UK
    are these boxes as great as publicised?
    750 watts... tonnes of effects.... must this be the greatest amplifier made?
    are there any amps by other manufacturers that are better and in the same price range?

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Expect a number of replies shortly, to the effect that the Mo Bass doesn't live up to its hype, has a weak clean tone, and is prone to problems. I've never played through one, personally, but I'd tend to believe the stories, since there seems to be no shortage of them. I'm a loyal SWR user, aside from that.

YMMV, or course. :)

3. Michael Yetton

Michael Yetton

Dec 11, 2000
    Essex, UK
    i have been thinking about Eden.... tell me more!!! :D
    i played a 4x10 combo AGES ago and it sounded good but i cant quite remember much!

4. forget the fx for a moment and just compare mo's preamp to an sm-900, the 900 kills mo bass in clean tone.

the fx are ok at best.

its all hype, wanna buy mine?

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have an SM-900 and I love it. Try one of those. Try an Eden WT-800. Try some others. Pick the one you like best - there are a lot of good amps out there! :)

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    SWR is supposed to be revamping the clean tone of the Mo' Bass, adjusting the gain stages, so that it will sound more like the SM-900. I think they said the new version will ship either late March or April. Can't remember which. Either way, as someone who was once considering the Mo' Bass, I think you could get a better sound and/or deal by finding an amp you really like the tone of, then invest in a good pedal board for the FX.

7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I believe you're referring to the MiniMo, which is a preamp-only version of the Mo' Bass. From what I've heard the issues with the construction and clean tone/gain have been improved, as well as more control over the effects. It should be available by May.

I have no idea if the improvements will be carried over the the original Mo' Bass (I would imagine they would be), but I'll ask my "source" at SWR as soon as possible.

8. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    My uncle Tim Scott is an SWR endorser and recorded the following demo for SWR with his Mo' Bass.

http://www.timscott.com/

I have personally never tried it, but he seems to dig it. :bassist:

Cheers,
    Chris

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yer uncle can flat-out play, bro! Great job on the demo, too. :cool:

10. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah... I know... He is a constant source of irritation to me! :p Hell, that is him on vocals as well... :eek:

Cheers,
    Chris

11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    No, it was the original Mo' that our rep from SWR was talking about. I asked someone in the service department, too, and he confirmed it. Either way, I still don't think it would be as good as the SM-900 plus good pedal board.

12. Michael Yetton

Michael Yetton

Dec 11, 2000
    Essex, UK
    ive been looking at the 750x head by SWR.

13. The MinoMo definately seems very interesting to me. I actually kinda liked the effects on the Mo'Bass, so it might run pretty well as an FX processor through my DB750.

14. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    id get a mini mo for the effects but im afraid it would color the signal too much if i used it in conjunction with a separate head

15. That is definately something that i am worried about as well.

16. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    If you've been looking at Eden, you'll notice they don't have an effects laden Mo-Bass equivalent. From what I hear SWR's SM series is a much better product. I'd recommend the SWR SM series or EDEN WT series.

17. also, if you have the money or patience to find used, look into Aguilar

18. Mark Jacobs

Mark Jacobs

Dec 16, 2000
    ...nice sound clip by your Uncle Tim. I like his tone.

19. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Very nice! Definite proof that there are some good sounds to be gotten out of the thing - I think I like this better than the sample clips (maybe one tie) for the Mo' that SWR had on their site last time I listened.

Great stuff!

:)

20. Michael Yetton

Michael Yetton

Dec 11, 2000
    Essex, UK
    so what do u guys think of the 750x head by SWR? it looks good, no?